Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

97 only blows air on floor and vent

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2011, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 only blows air on floor and vent

1997 Cavalier, just had the AC fixed. Turn the air routing **** and here is what happens:

Defrost works, it will actuate and blow to the windshield.
All other modes are split between floor and vent.

Found lots of info online for newer ones with kinked cables but that is not the issue with mine. I can hear something trying to happen when laying under the dash and turning the **** from floor to ac.

Is this a simple fix, or do I have to rip out the bottom half of the dash and fix some kind of routing mechanism??

From underneath I see the fresh air valve move from recirculated mode.
I see the large vacuum device go in and out as I go to different modes moving everything it is attached to. But what I don't see is any external devices moving when I go from floor to vent, but as I said I hear something inside that big black plastic area in the middle.

Thanks,

Bo<O</O

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
Old March 19th, 2011, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, let me post the fix for my problem for future use.

On the 97 Cavalier, there are 3 of those vacuum actuators that move linkage around. I was watching the 2 that are under the glove box. One of those routes to defrost vents and the other opens and closes the fresh air vent.

The third is on the driver's side behind a black plastic shield that is removed with one screw. Above it is another one of those vacuum actuators and it came loose from its mount, which all it does is slide on to it and kind of wedge itself. The actuator was just going up and down as it hung from the linkage it was suppose to be moving.

Bo<O</O

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)