Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

another AC question

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2018, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another AC question

Does anyone know the correct amount of Pag oil & 134a gas the system takes on my 04 Cavalier. My AC info sticker that's suppose to be under the hood is not there for some reason or another. Thanks
Old June 7th, 2018, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

What are you doing? for correct oil balancing; must know what parts were replaced. Was a slow leak present or sudden discharge?
Old June 7th, 2018, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

I am replacing the compressor, condenser, dryer and orifice tube on my 04 Cavalier. I had what gas that left taken out @ a ac shop yesterday. I want to drain all the oil in the new compressor & fill with 5oz (what the system called for). When all the mentioned new parts are on I will vac the system & HOPE it holds a vac.After that I will fill the system with 24oz of 134a.I'm figuring on 80 degree day to check the gauges 45low psi & 175 to 210psi on the high .
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:20 AM
Super Moderator

put the vacuum on the system first and if it holds vacuum, add the pag oil. the vacuum helps draw the oil in and charging the system helps disperse it. if you add the oil first, you could suck it back out when you vacuum. When you add oil for the compressor...add it into the compressor so it goes into the sump in the compressor. install the compressor and conect the lines; turn it over by hand a few turns. then add the rest of the oil through the low side service port or if you don't have an injection gun...directly into each component as you install them.
ACCUMULATOR REPLACEMENT .................... 45 ml (1.5 oz)
NOTE: Add PAG oil equal to the amount of oil drained from the old accumulator plus the specified additional amount.

COMPRESSOR REPLACEMENT .................... 75 ml (2.5 oz)
NOTE: If more than the specified amount of PAG oil was drained from a component, add the equal amount of oil drained. The Delphi CVC6 service compressor is precharged with 148.0 ml (5 oz) of PAG oil.

CONDENSER REPLACEMENT .................... 30 ml (1.0 oz)
NOTE: If more than the specified amount of PAG oil was drained from a component, add the equal amount of oil drained.

EVAPORATOR REPLACEMENT .................... 30 ml (1.0 oz)
NOTE: If more than the specified amount of PAG oil was drained from a component, add the equal amount of oil drained.

TOTAL SYSTEM PAG OIL CAPACITY .................... 147 ml (5.0 oz)
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Today I installed the new condenser, dryer & orifice tube. The condenser took a little more time than I planned so I'll install the new compressor tomorrow. The compressor came with 5oz of pag oil already in it so I'll just install it as is with the 5oz of oil that came in it. Why they sent me an extra 8oz bottle of oil I don't know. There's no oil anywhere in the system @ this point. After the compressor is on I will vac it to see if it holds. That's the plan. Your thoughts?
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator

how much oil came out/can you pour out of the old compressor?
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Don't know, it's still on the car. I'll put the new one on tomorrow. There "should" be about ?oz left in the old compressor, I guess, I will check. I did blow out the evaporator and lines when everything was apart. Got a little oil, maybe an oz at most. I did forget to drain the old condenser so there's probably some oil left in it. In any case I'll add it all up & let you know.
Old June 10th, 2018, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

I installed the new compressor yesterday. I spent more time reinstalling the serpentine than anything on the whole project. I would venture to say there was no more than 2oz of pag oil in the whole old system. I'm getting 35 psi on the low gauge and 130 on the high side @ ambient 75F degrees the center vent temp was about 45F degrees. I noticed the compressor didn't cycle it stayed on the whole time the ac was on. I just remembered I kept the control dial on the coldest blue throughout. Is the compressor suppose to cycle when the desired temp is reached or just run all the time the ac is on. Thanks again for all the info
Larry
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

its controlled by the low pressure switch....temp and pressure are proportional...low pressure = low temp = evaporator freezing...so the system shuts off to prevent evaporator freezing. when the psi comes back up...the compressor is turned back on.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

The low pressure switch is next to the high pressure port under the support, right ,or is that a high pressure switch ? So, how is that switch changed with a full charge? And I was going to order one and didn't.
Larry