Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

battery light

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2010, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery light

About a week ago my battery died, so i bought a new one, which died shortly after. Assuming then that the issue was my alternator i had the alternator fixed. But still after all this my battery light refuses to go off. So I took the battery to get tested and it was fine. Anyone have any ideas about what might be the problem?
Old April 1st, 2010, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the new Alternator checked.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

the guys who fixed the alternator checked it after they fixed it and it was putting off power.
Old April 5th, 2010, 3:47 AM
CF Beginner

Battery light is usually controlled by wire connected to the alternator. With the car off use a volt meter to check the battery voltage, a good battery will actually read around 12.7 volts. Do the same test with the car running and all the power options, like headlights and defroster, turn on. You should find a high reading than when the car was off. Could be a open circuit for the battery light, meaning a bad wire or loose ground strap. I have seen the electrical connector on a alternator "burn out", might want to pull that plug off and check it closely. Most auto parts store store replacement connectors if that turns out to be the problem. Hope this info helps in some way.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

I think it's possible due to not charging properly or you've got a short somewhere,you Have to check alternator tested,If it's not the alt, my guess would be to inspect the usual suspects,it is also possible due to battery totally discharge,you can check light bulb-holders (look inside at the terminals),door switches,ignition switch, the solenoid contact on your starter.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

It turned out to be the alternator. They people who "fixed" it apparently didn't really fix it, and also neglected to tell me it had been repaired once before by the previous owner. I bought a refurbished one, and it's working just fine now.
Thanks for everyone's help!