Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier Malibu swap

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier Malibu swap

I have a question, im not new to cars but i am having a little trouble finding the answer to my question. I have a 1990 Chevy cavalier 2.2l 3 speed automatic and the transmission just went out after a fluid change. The engine is also on its last leg, it burns oil at a pretty steady rate i drive about 200 miles a week and at the end of every week it needs a quart. I recently found a 3.1liter malibu engine and my question is this will the malibu engine fit in the cavalier. I would like to know before i buy the engine, but i also dont want to wait till the engine is sold. I know that the cavaliers came with a 3.1 l engine but are they the same. Will i need a mounting kit, and will i need a whole new wire harness? Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2009, 1:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteelAsura
I have a question, im not new to cars but i am having a little trouble finding the answer to my question. I have a 1990 Chevy cavalier 2.2l 3 speed automatic and the transmission just went out after a fluid change. The engine is also on its last leg, it burns oil at a pretty steady rate i drive about 200 miles a week and at the end of every week it needs a quart. I recently found a 3.1liter malibu engine and my question is this will the malibu engine fit in the cavalier. I would like to know before i buy the engine, but i also dont want to wait till the engine is sold. I know that the cavaliers came with a 3.1 l engine but are they the same. Will i need a mounting kit, and will i need a whole new wire harness? Thanks
depending on the years, you may not need be able to direct swap due to clearance issue. But Yes this engine should fit within the bay.

Next issue is. are they the same type of engines, I.E. Inline or Transverse.

Next issue, are you willing to swap the wiring harness and ECU from the Malibu, due to the Cavs not working with the Mali engine.

Simple answers.
Yes to the swap. With new mounts kit
Yes to the harness
Yes to the ECU
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

First, thanks for helping. second do you know what a swap like this would cost??? i have no idea and im kinda looking for something that can take time to do, cause im just kind of looking for something to work on without breaking the bank if you know what i mean. Also what do you mean by transverse or inline, im pretty sure it is a sfi v6 3.1l engine, if that helps. Thanks again
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
CF Junior Member

When referring to inline or transverse, this is refering to how the engine sits in the engine bay. inline would be that the crank shaft and the transmission are inline with each other and the can bysect the car down the center line as you views the car from the front.

as for transverse, is the engine mount in the compartment at a 90% offset from inline or front of the car.

Most Front Wheel drive cars are transverse, and most rear wheeled cars and trucks are inline.

Cost wised, this should be a small budget build, no more then 3K total or less. Time wise about 1 months of weekends by yourself, or 1 to 2 weekends with friends.

Pizza, steaks, and beer, have fueled a large number of these swaps, just remember, it part of the build cost.