Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Driver side low beam not functioning

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side low beam not functioning

Hey,

I have a 2000 chevy cavalier 2.2L. This car has had more problems than any other car i have ever owned.. i have sorted out most of the issues except my driver side low beam doesn't not work, but my high beams do. My first thought was just the bulb was shot, but that wasn't the case so i checked and double checked the fuses with in the car it self as well as under the hood no problems there. my passenger side headlight functions just fine.. i have tried searching for answers online as well as in my chilton's manual but no luck...

Help would be greatly appreciated
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know your particular vehicle well but I would suspect the high beam switch or the relay that controls the headlamps.

You may try checking voltage to the high beam line at different points to see if the wire harness is broken somewhere..

also just re-seating the headlamp relay may resolve the issue...
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

where would the headlamp relay be? i cant seem to find a wiring schemtatic
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

relay will most likely be where the fuses are located under the hood, again I am not familiar with this vehicle.
The relay will be a a black box looking item and most likely labeled as such...
I believe the owners manual should show the locations of the fuses and relays and the locations of the fuse and relay boxes....
Old August 27th, 2010, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Have you tried checking the fuses? That is one of the places I think of that they are powered seperately.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar issue with my 2001 cavalier and the girlfriends 2000 cavalier.However our drl don't work or if you put it in high beam the lights go out completely.I've read many solutions to this problem online ranging from checking the wire harness for pinholes and corrosion from headlight to headlight to a possible ground issue.Currently I am stumped also for a solution..
Old May 5th, 2012, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

Just dont put the relays back in backwards. I did and lost my ac for 3 months before i figured that easy one out.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

In most cases it is the bulb or the socket the bulb plugs into. Check the socket carefully for corrosion or cracks in the plastic. Try changing the bulbs from left to right to see if it makes any difference.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

cavaliers have a lot of problems with multifunction switches and wires being chaffed in the harness under the air cleaner
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's an electrical connector under the battery tray. Any battery electrolyte solution that leaks out will drip on this connector and corrode it out. That should be the first place to look on any dimming or other headlight malfunctions.

Quick Reply: Driver side low beam not functioning