Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

engine over heating

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2007, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine over heating

hi, i have a 2000 2.2 liter cavalier and since i bought it, the temp for the engine has always been 195, halfway through. but for a couple of weeks now, when i'm at a stop light, the gauge goes past 195. then when i get going again, it returns to normal. i asked around and some people told me to change the thermostat and i did. i then refilled the coolant reservior and started her up. before i could get halfway down the street it shot up to 195 and before i got back home it was in the red.can anyone please help or have any suggestions? thanks

edit: the fan in front of the engine hasn't turned on even when the temp got higher. also, the low coolant reservior light is on even when i filled it
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: engine over heating

Well if your fan isnt working the first thing i would do is to check the relay thats under the hood. The relays have thier own fuse box, usually under the hood to the right. The cover for the box should be labeled with the names of the relays. Look for the one that says "cooling fan".If thats not the problem it might be your air intake system. Is it factory intake or did you customize it? Im asking because I have a 97 cavi gt 2.2 and when i put a cold air intake on it my engine started doing the same thing yours it. When i stop it overheats to the red and when i start going its fine. But then i simply put my factory intake back in and it was fine.
Old March 18th, 2007, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

we unscrewed something called a bleeder screw, and some steam came out. we put it bacl on andever since then it hasnt overheated the way it used to. the most it goes is past one of two lines above 195.

i havent done anything to customize my car. i checked the fuse and its still good. could it be a sensor or could it be my fan isnt working all together?
Old March 19th, 2007, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

theres a possibility that it could be your thermostat, but if you loosened the bleeder you might have just needed to bleed ur antifreeze lines. If theres air in the lines it will overheat. If it keeps happening check your fan again, make sure its working, and also check your thermostat.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

i replaced my theremostat and we added stuff for the air conditioner. when my car starts to heat up the cold becomes hot and it sucks big time. for the firsttime since we replaced the thermostat, the car almost got in the red. if its the sensor, can i take it to autozone for them to check it with that machine they have?
Old March 26th, 2007, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

well they can only check it at autozone if you have an engine light on. If you do i would say go for it. But did you end up checking ur fan? Its easy to know if it comes on. When you run your a/c the fan is always on.
Old March 26th, 2007, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

i have a similar problem with my 1997 2.2. At highway speeds (65-70) the temp would drop all the way down to cold. so i cahanged the thermostat, thinking that it was stuck open. i bled the system according to the haynes manual. now it runs really hot in the city, still cold on the highway. the fan comes on but just before it hits the red. i took temp readings with an infrared thermometer, the elbow that holds the thermostat reads around 200-210 but the hose only reads 175-180, and the radiator is kinda cool to the touch. is there something i could have missed, like maybe a second bleed screw or something. thanks
Old March 26th, 2007, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: m00n

hi, i have a 2000 2.2 liter cavalier and since i bought it, the temp for the engine has always been 195, halfway through. but for a couple of weeks now, when i'm at a stop light, the gauge goes past 195. then when i get going again, it returns to normal. i asked around and some people told me to change the thermostat and i did. i then refilled the coolant reservior and started her up. before i could get halfway down the street it shot up to 195 and before i got back home it was in the red.can anyone please help or have any suggestions? thanks

edit: the fan in front of the engine hasn't turned on even when the temp got higher. also, the low coolant reservior light is on even when i filled it
It might be something called a (coolant temperature sensor) it's on the engine
Old April 4th, 2007, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

my uncle says we should jump start the fan to make sure its working at least. if it works i hope that means its just a sensor. does anyone know how much it'll cost for me to get my fan replaced in case thats what it is? so that way i'm not shocked in front of the mechanic hehe
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Well you wouldnt have to replace the whole fan...just the motor...and if ur car has ac...a new motor is usually $120-$130....without ac usually $90-$100....and the labor shouldnt be that expensive...its a very easy job.

Quick Reply: engine over heating