Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Engine wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2020, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wiring harness questions

I have a 2.2 L with a bad harness, but everywhere near me has had issues with people chopping the wiring harnesses when removing ECU, and as a last stitch effort to get things running my friend asked if I could use his wiring harness from his 96/97 s10 that originally had a 2.2L... is this possible without major modification?
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneeky Bstrd
I have a 2.2 L with a bad harness, but everywhere near me has had issues with people chopping the wiring harnesses when removing ECU, and as a last stitch effort to get things running my friend asked if I could use his wiring harness from his 96/97 s10 that originally had a 2.2L... is this possible without major modification?
Why would anyone wish to mess with the ECU? My Cavvies both ran great stock, so I never had to touch the ECU at all. I once had to replace the ignition coil pack on someone else's Cavvy as it had a bad C-O-P issue, but never the ECU.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Why would anyone wish to mess with the ECU? My Cavvies both ran great stock, so I never had to touch the ECU at all. I once had to replace the ignition coil pack on someone else's Cavvy as it had a bad C-O-P issue, but never the ECU.
Not sure why, but every junkyard around me is in the same boat, when someone removed the ECUs, they just cut it out instead of unplugging it...
Old June 3rd, 2020, 12:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneeky Bstrd
Not sure why, but every junkyard around me is in the same boat, when someone removed the ECUs, they just cut it out instead of unplugging it...
It might be for speed or it could be they want the connector to splice it into another vehicle. The result is the same. I gave up on junk-yard parts long ago when the full-time pickers set up shop. There is nothing of value there as its all been stripped out as soon as the junk-yard opens up..

Many years ago, before the pro-pickers, I put an entire A/C system into a vehicle with no A/C. I could not possibly do that these days.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 7:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 351 Likes on 332 Posts

If there is nothing else wrong with a junk yard wiring harness except for the plug at the ECU, you can splice in your old plug and make a good harness. That is if you have the plug. I haven't checked, but you may be able to buy the plug. Check Ebay you xcan find many odd parts for sale there.