Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Help with brake lines in '91 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2006, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brake lines in '91 Cavalier

Hi,

This'll be my first question to these forums and any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated

I'm trying to install new brake lines on a 1991 Cavalier. Bending the lines is turning out to not be a problem, but getting the flares right on the ends of the lines is proving to be difficult. The "double flare" that is needed is proving to be difficult to achieve. I've tried several times and I can't seem to get that bubble to form in the first half of the flaring process.

Does anyone have any pointers on this entire flaring operation? And would I be able to get away with using a single flare if necessary?

I do realize that the single flare may be prone to stress fractures and subsequently some leaking, but these double flares are driving me to the edge of my sanity. Hehe.
Old January 24th, 2006, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with brake lines in '91 Cavalier

sorry, no help on that score..but while we're on the subject of brake lines. I just finnished replacing/repairing the ignition system in my '85 chevette yesterday, and while she was running beautifully again I got in, put my foot on the brake and with a slight pop or thud it proceded to go to the floor. now I have no back brakes ...which is super fun esp. w/ a RWD car on canadian iceways.....my e-brake still works, so it sounds like its the rear circuit of the hydraulic sys.

well, I'm off to the driveway to crawl under and look for leaks. thankfully its above freezing.

anyone w/ insight?