Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

How do I check the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2010, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I check the fuel pump?

I have a 99 Cavalier 4 cylAT. This is my daughter's car. When driving it today, the car stalled on her. When I tried to start it again, it would start up, but cut out right away. I can't get it to stay running. There is no check engine light on, but the battery light came on when it stalled. I checked the battery pos cable and it was pretty corroded. I cleaned it up as much as I could, but when I tried to start it, it did the same thing. Any ideas what the problem could be? I was thinking maybe I could check to see if it's getting fuel...does anyone know how to check the fuel pump?
Thanks for the help!
Old April 5th, 2010, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpack_sid
I have a 99 Cavalier 4 cylAT. This is my daughter's car. When driving it today, the car stalled on her. When I tried to start it again, it would start up, but cut out right away. I can't get it to stay running. There is no check engine light on, but the battery light came on when it stalled. I checked the battery pos cable and it was pretty corroded. I cleaned it up as much as I could, but when I tried to start it, it did the same thing. Any ideas what the problem could be? I was thinking maybe I could check to see if it's getting fuel...does anyone know how to check the fuel pump?
Thanks for the help!
First place I would start is with a new fuel filter. It will be under the car somewhere between the fuel tank and the engine, usually along the frame rail on the drivers side. It is a $10-$15 part and easy to change. There should be a valve on the fuel rail, where the fuel injectors are on the engine, that looks like the air valve on a tire. They make a pressure tester that can be used there to check for fuel pressure. Do not use a regular tire air gauge because it will not work, even though it looks like it would. If you call your local dealership service department they will usually tell you what your fuel pressure should be when primed, key on but engine off, and when the car is running. Low fuel pressure sounds like your problem and the in line fuel filter is the most likely cause, this is the filter I mentioned above. There is also a filter inside the fuel tank, on the bottom on the fuel pump, that could be clogged if the tank has a lot of "trash" in it. The in tank filter is less likely your problem, in my opinion.