Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of problems

As you may have read in the newbie forum, my girlfriend was given a 92 Cavalier. I was told it was in good shape but then she brought it home for the first time. Whoever said it was in good shape lied. Anyway, on to my problems. The biggest issue is the driver's side door won't open either from the inside or the outside. The locks appear to be working but when you pull the handle from the outside, theres no tension at all and the handle just kind of hangs there. When you pull the one from the inside, theres tension on it but the door won't unlatch. My second issue is that when you get the car up to about 60 mph, the steering wheel shakes like crazy. I think it was the first time in my life I've ever been scared to drive a car. I was told that one of the tires has fix a flat in it and that it sat for most of the summer with that stuff in it. I know you're supposed to drive the car for a certain amount of time after you install fix a flat and I don't know if that was done properly or not. Could the vibration be caused because all of that fix a flat is in one spot in the tire and the tire is out of balance or could there be something more serious? My third problem I think the solution to is pretty obvious. The power steering pumps screams like a scared cat everytime you turn the wheel. I checked the fluid level and its full, however, the fluid is milky and white. Time for a new pump, right? Also, the car is a convertable and the previous owners claim that the top is new. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Anything I need to be wary of there? Thanks in advance for helping the new guy out and my apologies for the long post. We're trying to decide if the car should be scrapped or if its worth putting some money in to.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Lots of problems

Anybody?
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

i would say if u have money to put into it go for it
or if she really needs the car fix it
if not put a for sell sign on it

but the fix a flat could be the shaking or it could be something else
and as for the door thing
good luck maybe you couuld slim jim it open or try to take the panel off inside and fanigle it open

good luck man
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
CF Pro Member

For the door ... take off the panel and check the linkage hasn't become disconnected.

For the vibration ... take the tire with the "stuff" in it and swap it to the rear and see if it still vibrates. You should get new tires ... the flat fix stuff is for temporary use anyway.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

HEY IF UR LOOKING TO SELL IT LET ME KNO IM LLOKING FOR ONE AND IS IT A AUTO 5 SPEED 2 OR 4 DR LET ME KNO
Old November 11th, 2006, 3:16 PM
CF Active Member

when a car shakes, it can be a couples of things... I suggest lifting the front and shaking the wheel by hand side-to-side. if the wheel moves check to see whether the tie-rods, or linkage is bad. I agree with golfer...replace the tires, and have the front aligned. good luck.I hope I helped...