Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

misfire issue for 99 cav 2.2

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire issue for 99 cav 2.2

well as you can see by my name I don't know much about cars lol. I do know that recently my girl's car's engine light came on and she had an obd2 test done at autozone. I was not there to see the code that came up but i do know it said the engine had a misfire issue. so i started by changing the plugs, 3 of which looked fine but one looked kinda black like it wasn't firing. well needless to say that didn't help. due to the recent economy i am short on cash and can't buy parts to just try and fix the problem i wanna pinpoint it first and replace whats broken but i dunno what I am doing lol []. can someone plz help me before I go bald from rippin my hair out? I am desperate and need all the help i can get. oh and we are living in the car so I need to fix this asap so we don't go broke tryin not to freeze!!!
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: misfire issue for 99 cav 2.2

Hey Bud,

I think you should check the Coil pack that is for that cyl. that the plug was black.

There are 2 coil packs located on the back of the engine (right underneath all the fuel injection stuff on the firewall side of the motor) and each one of them covers 2 of the cyl. Check the one that is causing the 'black' plug and you'll probably have it. They cost around $25 at AutoZone for the standard and $ 54 for the Performance coil pack.

Hope this helps, please let us know if you fix it.

Thanks,
Dizturbed

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

ty sir for your info. I had an idea that might be it but I am an idiotwhen it comes to cars another question should I change the plug wires while I am at it just to be on the safe side, being they are onlt 18 bucks?

another thing I noticed is that the plug on cyl number 2 was covered in oil. dunno if this is a big deal or not just wondering tho?
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

I'd change them.

See where the oil came from, that may be important.

Dizturbed