Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Passlock or PCM? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passlock or PCM? HELP!!

My 2002 (130K+ miles) will start with your foot on the gas, but once you remove your foot it cuts off. I will have to watch the theft light next time I try it. At work now with the truck as my car has been dead since 5/25. Here is a quick rundown of recent service:

4/2011 - (routine) new plugs and wires, oil/filter change and air filter change.

5/25 - started having igntion problems. put the fuel filter in as it had not been changed yet. had faulty plug wires and number one was arcing onto the block. new plugs, no start and engine light came on. codes for ignition module.

5/27 - replaced ignition module and ignition coils while we were at it. starts with foot on gas, but cuts off when you remove your foot. i didn't look to see what the theft light was doing. hooked car up to pressure reader and no pressure. general consensus is fuel pump. new fuel pump. same thing. starts with foot on gas, remove foot and cuts off.

So here are my questions.

1: I read a recent post about a gentleman who put on a remote start and had to reset the passlock. I gather anytime you mess with the ignition you need to do this? We did replace the module and the coils.

2: My car idles fine when the a/c is off, but idles rough when the a/c is on. I don't recall is she has always done that or not. My digital odomoter cuts in and out but I have no error codes on it. From what I understand the PCM effects both of these issues?

I bought the car pretty much brand new with 3,000 miles on it on 2003. I love this car. We have always been a Chevy family and I married into a Chevy family. I guess for now I will try the passlock reset.

Thanks!

1929 Chevrolet Coach "Gertrude" (FOR SALE)
1939 Chevrolet Truck "Groucho"
2002 Chevrolet Cavalier "Bessie Blue"
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 "Hank"
2003 Chevrolet C5500 Kodiak "Junior"