Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L

Okay; I'm a newbie. Trying to remove my power steering pump; I've taken out the three mounting bolts reached through the holes of the pulley; I've also taken off the free line and rubber hose.

But I can't identify the bolts on the bottom of the pump to remove it/them and remove the pump.

Anyone have any suggestions how this newbie can complete this removal without using C-4 to blow up the car?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 9:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Are you sure it isn't just a case of a little tapping to get it loose?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure it isn't just a case of a little tapping to get it loose?
EinST: Thank you for the graphic and welcoming me to the forum. No, I'm not sure it isn't "tapping" This will help.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

My memory doesn't go back that far but, after three bolts, the only thing that's holding the pump in place is probably some rust. Try banging on it with a rubber mallet? Otherwise, see if you can post a picture.
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default EinST: More water pump/details:

My memory doesn't go back that far but, after three bolts, the only thing that's holding the pump in place is probably some rust. Try banging on it with a rubber mallet? Otherwise, see if you can post a picture.

EinST: Thank you for continuing to provide leads to my Cavalier mechanical problem. But I've made a mistake describing my real problem: I hope I can attribute it to 90 HR work weeks; sleepy most of the time, and not using my best thinking most of the time.

I have now removed the water pump by removing the pulled and three mounting bots; the water pump is off the block. But I can't pull it out due to a metal subframe extending right and above the left side of the engine. I've attached a jpeg with my left hand indicating a couple of points of interest: my left pinkie is pointing to the back side of my old water pump; my right index finger is pointing to a motor mount, which was originally suggested by my Haynes Repair Manual is the way to go in lifting the engine for an inch or 2 to remove the water pump and install the new one.

Yea, verily, it appeared to me it would be easier to remove the power steering pump that would permit me to access the last (and 4th) bolt holding the metal subframe plate; with it out of the way, it appeared to me
the water pump is easily lifted out, and the new one installed.

Alas, I have removed the power steering pump's three through-the-pulley mounting bolts, disconnect the two hoses...but can't find the one or two pump-to-bracket bolts preventing me from lifting out the power steering pump.

Are you still with me in my explanation? If so, I'm attempting to feel around and under the power steering pump to identify remain bolts so I can remove that pump and--in my feeble mechanic's mind--lift out the metal subframe plate--to get the room to lift out the water pump.

This is a convuluted way of going about the process but it simply appeared easier, to me, to remove the subframe plate to get at the old water pump.

I'm probably overlooking something, right? More difficult job? Won't work? Please advise. Thanks again for your patience and time. At least I have off Thanksgiving but begin the rest of my work week at 6AM in the morning.

Hope you and yours had something of any enjoyable Thanksgiving. Getting ready to watch the Bears upset the Packers.

Thanks again, EinST
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know but I don't see an attachment. Anyway, are you sure you need the power steering pump out of the way and not the alternator? Isn't the water pump toward the front of the engine compartment below the alternator?
Old November 25th, 2011, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know but I don't see an attachment. Anyway, are you sure you need the power steering pump out of the way and not the alternator? Isn't the water pump toward the front of the engine compartment below the alternator?
EinST: Indeed, I forgot to attach the pic yesterday. Hope the one I've em emailed (titled EinST to forum webmaster works for you. (The jpeg wouldn't load under the forum attachment form.)

The attachment shows the water pump below the removed alternator. I hope you see the metal frame that extend right from the left end of the engine that's blocking my removal of old water pump and preventing installation of new one. I'm now attempting to remove the power steering water pump--but especially the power steering pump pulley--that's block the last of 4 mounting bolts for that pesky metal subframe; that one piece removed (or but slightly repositioned up a couple inches), I can--in my seeing the situation--easily switch out the water pump.

But perhaps my sleep-derived brain isn't seeing very accurately what's going on. I'd appreciate if you could "see" for me and tell me if I'm finally on the right path.

(Again, the problem is locating the pump-to-bracket bolts preventing me from removing the power steering pump to access the last mounting bolt partially blocked by the power steering pulley.)

Have I given you sufficient information?
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Would removing the splash shield help? As for the picture, you may want to upload it to a photobucket account or something and then link it with the "Insert Image" icon.
Old November 25th, 2011, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Would removing the splash shield help? As for the picture, you may want to upload it to a photobucket account or something and then link it with the "Insert Image" icon.

I believe I've resized the two attached photos to comply with forum pic submissions. Can you see these two pics now?

The attachments show show a top and side view of the water pump below the removed alternator. In the second pic, you can better see the metal frame that extends right from the left end of the engine that's blocking my removal of old water pump and installation of new one. I'm now attempting to remove the power steering water pump--but especially the power steering pump pulley--that's blocked the last of 4 mounting bolts for that pesky metal subframe; you can see the last frame bolt just to the bottom right of the power steering pulley.

But perhaps my sleep-derived brain isn't seeing very accurately what's going on. I'd appreciate if you could "see" for me and tell me if I'm finally on the right path.

(Again, the problem is locating the pump-to-bracket bolts preventing me from removing the power steering pump to access the last mounting bolt partially blocked by the power steering pulley.)

Is this post plus pics now helping you see the real deal? Sorry to make you work so hard.

Joseph
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L-einst_water-pump-metal-power-steering-001.jpg   Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L-einst_water-pump-metal-power-steering-002.jpg  
Old November 25th, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Veteran

Hmm, according to the free repair guide at AutoZone.com (same as in Chilton):

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Properly drain the cooling system into an approved container.
3. Remove all accessory drive belts or the serpentine belt.
4. Remove the alternator and bracket.
5. Unscrew the water pump pulley mounting bolts and then pull off the pulley.
6. Unfasten the mounting bolts, then remove the water pump.
7. Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.

I see the alternator still on top. Have you tried actually removing the alternator and its bracket?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L