Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Power Steering Pump Removal Problem1988 Cavalier RS 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
Hmm, according to the free repair guide at AutoZone.com (same as in Chilton):

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Properly drain the cooling system into an approved container.
3. Remove all accessory drive belts or the serpentine belt.
4. Remove the alternator and bracket.
5. Unscrew the water pump pulley mounting bolts and then pull off the pulley.
6. Unfasten the mounting bolts, then remove the water pump.
7. Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.

I see the alternator still on top. Have you tried actually removing the alternator and its bracket?

Yes, the alternator is removed; just laying in place; thanks for the tip on Autozone-Chilton's; I'll give it a twirl. I'll see what happens...I'll give it a twirl. Actually have most of today off.
Old December 11th, 2011, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it, Shamimce

Thanks for the response; I did take out the power steering pump to get at the bottom left bolt holding the tensioner in place; the water pump pulled straight out; This is the first 4-cylinder I've ever worked on and I'm just not accustomed to working in such a tight space; there's such little "wiggle room" between parts. But its done--without the motor mount removal route.

Originally Posted by shamimce
You may get benefited by following my suggestions. I've right now eliminated water pump motor through getting rid of the actual drawn as well as 3 installation robots; water pump motor is actually from the prevent. However I can not draw this away as a result of steel subframe increasing correct as well as over the actual remaining aspect from the motor. I have connected the jpeg along with my personal remaining hands showing a few sights: my personal remaining pinkie is actually directed towards the back again aspect associated with my personal aged drinking water pump motor; my personal correct catalog hand is actually directed to some engine attach, that was initially advised through my personal Haynes Restore Guide is actually what you want within raising the actual motor to have an in . or even two to get rid of water pump motor as well as set up the brand new 1.