Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

window weather strips, misc parts where to go??

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window weather strips, misc parts where to go??

hello,

Got this car for my son, 1993 Cavalier RS convert, It has been parked for a number of years. I am looking for the inside and outside weather strips for the windows,, a dash speaker cover (drivers side) and the drivers door pocket. Any ideas where to look for replacements Nothing at the local scrap yards..

JC Whitney has the weather strips but I don't know which ones to get that will fit. it has a few other issues but I'll start with getting it sealed for the winter.

Car was originally from Arizona which explains why all the rubber seals are destroyed. BUT.. no rust and a spotless body!
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Just google it !!! For small miscellaneous parts like door panel clips, etc... Try the help section at autozone. The have a lot of gm door panel clips, fender liner retainers, etc... Made by dorman.
Old November 8th, 2012, 5:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Google gives me generic weatherstrip material, doesn't say if it will fit between the glass and the door panel or door skin (on the sill), and no listing for the door panels or the speaker cover. Autozone , NAPA, O'Reileys do not have the parts either. Thanks to that great cash for clunkers program, most of the older cars at salvage yards were destroyed.
Looking for larger parts.
Old November 8th, 2012, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Try searching craigslist for cavaliers that people are parting out. If there isn't any on there at the moment, just keep checking back every few days. You never know what will pop up on there. You could also try the parts department at your local chevy stealership

Last edited by ld9z24; November 10th, 2012 at 3:20 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 5:32 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online and GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts
Old November 9th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, I'll give them a try

UPDATE: aparently according to GM Parts Direct, they are no longer available. Guess they are made from that super rare material unobtainum. I would hate to have to buy every available form of weatherstripping just to see if I could find something that would work. I have to believe that someone has replaced theses parts before...

Last edited by jimvw57; November 9th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old November 11th, 2012, 4:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Found a site that has them listed and aparently can still get them. Chevy Parts - GM Parts - Genuine OEM GM Parts Dealer

not cheap but it will fill the holes.. Also used some Flex Seal spray rubber sealant to patch the holes and a tear in the convertible roof. Seems to be working for now and much better than duct tape. Don't plan on opening the roof for awhile, hopefully get a new one before then.