Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

1967 El Camino 396 dying on acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2013, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 El Camino 396 dying on acceleration.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am a Noob to the classic car arena, so I apologize for my ignorance. I just inherited a 1967 El Camino 396 Turbo Jet from my late uncle. He had it restored to its original glory. Before I got the car my aunt had the engine pulled, cleaned, and hoses ect replaced. We did not replace the engine because it is a matching numbers car. To say I am excited about this is an understatement.

So here is my question. I brought the car home this weekend. Yesterday I got it out and just drove it around my neighborhood around 10-15 miles per hour. My 2 year old was riding beside me and wanted me to go faster. So I stepped on the gas so he could hear the engine roar, as he puts it. At that point the engine died. All of the fluids have been recently changed and I am using supreme non-ethanol gas. I feel like this is a air to fuel mixture problem in the carburetor. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help. i look forward to learning from all of you.

Cheers,

Ryan