Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

396 cold starting problems

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 396 cold starting problems

My 1966 396 engine with a quadrajet carb has trouble starting when the weather is cold. It is getting gas, spark, and air. I don't know if the choke (automatic) is correctly adjusted and I don't yet know how to adjust the choke. The engine has new (less than 3000 miles) spark plugs, plug cables, battery and cables, electronic ignition, coil, and the carb was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago.

Does anyone know why or has experienced starting problems with cold weather?
Old April 21st, 2008, 8:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 396 cold starting problems

yes it prob goe's back to the carb and choke ,to rich, not rich enough,the older engines can be tempermental when it come's to starting procedures for hot and cold weather .not to cast any dispersion but it's hard to find good carb medic's now a day's .i know you have to get the primary and secondary jet well's dryed up we used the alumanum o-ringed plug's in the secondary's and drilled out the primary's and taped them for set screw's and lock tited them .make shure the primary throttle plate shaft is good and tight ,if not it will cause problem's ,i used a thin wall bronze valve guide liner kit on mine and that was the best quad i ever had ,on a 1970 454 chevelle ,got to make shure the choke coil is operating .if the coil is working you can flood them out easy if you hit the gas to start right away if it has been running recently ,turn it over if it dont start right away then hit the peddel 1 time down to the floor while turning it over . most time's if it has been setting a couple day's you can hit the peddel down to the floor with the key on right away .