Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

I Have A Couple Questions Regarding the 454 I'm Building For My El Camino

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2015, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Have A Couple Questions Regarding the 454 I'm Building For My El Camino

Hello! New here and kinda new to building a project car and I just have a couple questions about the 454 I'm building. Ive got a 1971 El Camino (non-SS), got the T400 tranny that came with the car rebuilt and such. The car came with a 350 but the engine was done, and I found a 454 freshly rebuilt 454 freshly rebuilt... .030" with a stock rebuild kit bottom end. The casting number on the block (3999289) told me its between 1972 and 1978, which I was told is a good era for these 454s. Sadly because of time and money the car and engine has been sitting covered and stored for some time, and I want to at least get it running so I can enjoy it. I dont plan to do anything crazy with it, mostly street and a little bit of strip every now and then. I was planning (for ease and time) on buying the Edelbrock 2095 Power Package Kit for some of the upper end stuff and then of course the carburator, distributor, and harmonic balancer and pully kit for everything up front. Trying to keep the cost low but Ill cash things over for better parts of course to an extent.

So a few of my questions (please forgive me if I have stupid questions I'm still learning a lot and doing lots of research)...
1) What type of carburator should I get? What should I look for when buying a carburator?
2) I was looking at this serpentine kit on Summit from Chevy Performance because it looks like a good price, I dont need the A/C and I like the black finish, but reading the notes at the bottom it says the kit will not fit 1968-72 GM 'A' Bodies due to interference with the steering box... That means I cant put it on my '71 El Camino can I? And if not what other options do I have, or does anyone else have any recommendations?

If you have any questions feel free to ask, thanks for the help!