Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

New to the forum...Need insight in a 71 SS Chevelle Convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2013, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum...Need insight in a 71 SS Chevelle Convertible

First let me say...Hello

I have owned a few Chevy's over the years...80 Silverado raised 8" on 34" Cepek's 350/350...I have also briefly owned a 68 Malibu Convertible but I was too young and didn't know what the car was really worth so I sold it....

I have a family owned 69 Charger R/T, Dual Quad, 440, 6 speed split shift, with 3.55s.

I have an opportunity to buy a rare but albeit thrashed 1971 Chevelle SS Convertible. Its a bench seat car with column shift. I am hoping to pop down and see it in person rather than just photographs. The owner says its original but I want to verify it for myself, make sure its numbers matching otherwise I am going to start dropping the price on him. It appears to be a black top with a beige interior and a white body. It's been exposed to the elements and heavy sun exposure so who really knows what the color is by way of pictures.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out by pointing out some problem areas to look at, where does rust usually accumulate on this A-Body, which engines are more desirable...I am assuming since it is an SS it has to be a 350, 396 or a 454 but it doesn't have the SS 454 badge on the fender so that one can be safely omitted. Were the SS Convertibles only 12-bolt rear ends or did they also make 10-bolt? There is an SS badge on the grill, the rear bumper, and on the 2-spoke steering wheel. Whats the value of this car if the engine matches, if I do a restoration on it. How much would I be looking at investing to get it to primo condition? Whats the street value?

Many thanks in advance,

Pete
Old July 17th, 2013, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

120 views and NO ONE knows the problem areas to look at?
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the delay. I have been away from the forums for a while. There are more SS clones out there than true SS's. I have never seen an SS with a bench seat. Not saying it's not possible, but I have never seen one. I would seriously run a VIN check before proceeding. As for the value, I have seen 70 to 72 SS convertibles in decent shape in the high 20's to the mid to upper 30's. I have also seen nicely done clones about 5-6k cheaper.

I am not an expert, but a true Chevelle enthusiast will tell you about what to look for as far as SS to Clone. Things like the routing of the brake lines can make a lot of difference in value.

As for rust, I have owned 4 different Chevelles in my earlier life. The only rust issues I ever had were behind the wheels. Mostly behind the rear wheels.
Old October 5th, 2013, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

I own three chevelles and the only rust problems iv had is in the wheel wells behind the tires, they all have a 350 and what i think is that your looking at a clone because of the bench seat iv never seen one in the 400 chevelles that iv looked at in my life time
Old November 18th, 2013, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Bucket seats were an option on Chevelles. SS's included. The bench seat doesn't mean anything either way.

12 bolts were an option in '71 so that's not an indication either.

I'm pretty sure a build sheet is the only way to prove SS status.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Riff; March 11th, 2014 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Meant bucket seats, not bench