Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

We can't find the key to a 1967-1969 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2011, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We can't find the key to a 1967-1969 Malibu

Trying to help my Mom and Grandmother figure this out but My Great Grandmother owned a Chevy Malibu that is just sitting in our garage collecting dust. If anyone can give me info on how to find out the year. Yes, my grandmother lost the pink slip. I looked online today on the DMV about that but it wants the Car ID? I can get the licenes plate number and the make of the car but where do I find that out. The car is also of coursed locked. So if anyone can provide me any info to help us along I would greatly appreciate it. I am not a car guy so I am just as bad as them. All I know is a lot of my friends and neighbors always ask about it. For me it's memories. It hasn't been run in over 7 years I think. She was the original owner and nobody else drove it.

I read online that you should go to a Chevy dealer others said any locksmith. I want it done right but could a Chevy dealer still do that since it's so old. Also it doesn't run. well it hasn't been run so it shouldn't start. LOL I need a Car Guy Friend I am seeing from this post.

Last edited by FrankieCA; August 18th, 2011 at 8:59 AM. Reason: forgot the most important thing...lol
Old August 18th, 2011, 9:07 AM
CF Veteran

Default malibu

the vin number should be on a tag eon the driver's side bottom of the windshleld on the dash board .
Old August 18th, 2011, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help Old Dog!
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

I'd use the services of a locksmith over the dealership. For one thing, they'll come to you. Secondly, they're more likely to have experience with an older car. Thirdly, they're better equiped to handle your exact needs.

I had a 69 Malibu and IIRC there is a number on the ignition switch cylinder that has a key code. So, I think what would be required is to slim jim the door. Use something like a master key to pull the lock cylinder. Make a key to the key code. Done!
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrod
I'd use the services of a locksmith over the dealership. For one thing, they'll come to you. Secondly, they're more likely to have experience with an older car. Thirdly, they're better equiped to handle your exact needs.

I had a 69 Malibu and IIRC there is a number on the ignition switch cylinder that has a key code. So, I think what would be required is to slim jim the door. Use something like a master key to pull the lock cylinder. Make a key to the key code. Done!
I agree. Those keys had numbers on the knockouts. If you can find the number on the lock, you probably can get one from internet. If not they still sell them. I replaced the one on my 70 due to being worn out.