Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

5 year sitting truck, trying to start back up

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2017, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 year sitting truck, trying to start back up

I have an 86 Chevy C10 that hasn't ran since late 2012 early 2013. It was sitting at my dad's with maybe quarter tank of gas , I have it at my place now and I've been trying to get it back up and running. I've changed spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and the cables as well. Has new battery, thermostat and housing as well. I threw in about another 8-10 gallons fresh fuel and some of that sea foam and tried shaking the truck a bit to help mix in the fuel.
I've gotten the truck to kick over and run for about a mi Ute then it slowly dies, it's been doing it several times now. So my question is would it take several more pumps to try and get all that bad gas and whatever else I holding it from running good out of the system or what would y'all recommend?
Old July 24th, 2017, 5:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you replace the fuel filter?
Old July 24th, 2017, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter was brand new when I last ran it, but I have been meaning to get a new filter as well. We took it off and made sure it wasn't clogged or anything.
Old July 24th, 2017, 6:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd drain the fuel tank, fresh gas, and go from there