Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Air Filter Replacement Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2006, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Replacement Instructions?

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where I can find the replacement instructions / procedure for the air filter on a 2006 Cobalt LS with the 2.2L engine and Auto Trans? I also was wondering if installing a K&N filter would make any difference concerning mileage or power.

TIA!

Clint
Old August 23rd, 2006, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Filter Replacement Instructions?

I beleive on those it's a 4 10mm bolts that hold them on. It's not hard. Just remove the bolts, pull the airfilter out, and put in the new one.

As far as K&N airfilters ehh I doubt you will pick up any mpg that you can notice.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 9:48 PM
CF Senior Member

If you want to see how to do it go to the dealership or better yet to a parts store in your area, they can show you what you need to do.
As far as a K&N air filter anything you do the help air flow will help your power, the better question is how much. I will also agree with NCHEVYHEVN here you probably won't notice a difference, if you do it will probably be small. That dosen't mean that it won't help your gas mileage, it will be a small amount or unnoticable. But on the plus side that is more of a one time filter. If you like to keep your filters changed and clean you only have to clean and re-oil an K&N. However I would suggest a filter that you can clean and don't have to put oil on.
Old August 24th, 2006, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Mine has clips around the housing of the air filter. Mine is also a 2005 model, but has the 2.2 L engine with auto trans, so it may be the same or maybe different to your 2006 model. But I simply pushed the clips down until the snaped loose, pulled the top of the housing up and replaced the filter. The K&N filters do allow more air flow so there should be a little better performance, but it's not going to be something that you will immediately notice.
Old August 24th, 2006, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

I have the 2 clips that you pop loose on my filter box. I stopped by a friends shop and he showed me how to get into the filter box. No biggy really! Thanks for the quick responses!! I think I'll put the K&N filter in when I do my next oil change.

Clint