Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

front left speaker quit while it sat at the dealership waiting for recall repairs

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front left speaker quit while it sat at the dealership waiting for recall repairs

After 6 weeks in a rental, I finally got the call yesterday that my Cobalt had gotten its recall repairs and was ready for pickup. I hurried over, all excited to get my car back, but the excitement quickly faded. Of course they had about $850 in additional work I "needed" to have done, but the kicker was they told me my key fob no longer worked and would be an additional $160 to repair/replace. I told them absolutely not, it was working when I dropped it off so it should be working when I pick it up. The attitude I got from the service tech was "We didn't touch your car, not our problem". I left with my repair quote, my not-fully-functioning fob, and a request that I call them if I have any other concerns.

Cut to today: I get into the car to run an errand, and notice my blinker wasn't making a clicking sound anymore. A quick search helped me troubleshoot and confirm that my left front speaker is no longer working. As promised, I called the tech back...only to get the same attitude and response. He did say he could have a tech look at it but that I would be charged. I told him that wasn't acceptable, especially now that there are multiple new issues that weren't there when my car was dropped off.

I'm currently waiting for his manager to call me back. I have to say, given all of the troubles GM is currently facing, I'm surprised customer service hasn't been stepped up to compensate. Definitely something I will remember when I look for my next (non-GM) car!

Last edited by robinlynnette; May 8th, 2014 at 3:41 PM. Reason: incomplete, accidentally hit subunit
Old July 29th, 2014, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what I have learned from my cobalt is this. Older cars had a protective cover behind the front speakers like a foam to protect them from contamination in the doors. Under warranty my radio was changed twice(they claimed that was the problem) my speakers would cut out and just plain quit working. Now the car is not under warranty I've taken the door panels off and looked for myself. Before I get ahead of myself I get the car crowned(oiled)every year because these new cars are so damn cheap. What I noticed was there is nothing protecting the backs of my speakers and it is indeed the speakers that are cutting out NOT the radio as claimed from multiple dealerships...change your speakers and get something to protect them from behind..