Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Speaker/audio questions

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker/audio questions

so I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my audio system. I've got an 09 LT with the base system (mp3 cd/xm) I kind of like the head unit but I want some better sound from my music. I was thinking some speakers and down the line an amp and a sub maybe. How important is getting a new head unit to improving the sound quality?

also, looking for some recommendations for speakers... looking for something low to mid range that would give me some better sound.

also also, what kind of adapters am I going to need for the speakers?

Thanks guys, and I'm loving the forum so far.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome. the factory units run a seperate amp for the entire system. they make a wire harness adapter that allows you to use an aftermarket head unit with the rest of stock system. or you can eliminate the stock stuff all together and wire in for your own amp. there are speaker wire adapters available too so you don't have to cut the stock wires. check crutchfield.com
Old March 15th, 2010, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Yea Crutchfield is a good site and they always have some kind of deals going on. I would personally go with Pioneer for coaxils and tweeters and I would go either Rockford Fosgate or Kicker for subs. Rockford Fosgate and Alpine have the best amps. But thats just my personal opinion. You dont need a big amp and alot of speakers in our cars to make them loud just cause they are so small on the inside. I would either go 2 10" or 1 12" with a ported box.
Old March 15th, 2010, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

That site is pretty awesome, thanks for the link.

I guess I should have specified, I'm not looking for the loudest system ever, I prefer sound quality over volume level.
Old March 15th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would look into pioneer speakers. even their cheaper line is really good. i think the stock should be good enough for sound, but it's also in the ear of the listener. new headunit may sound better.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi MrSpecialK,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

You don't usually have to look very hard to find speakers better than the factory clunkers. Jensen,Infinity,KLH and Pioneer all make great sounding inexpensive speakers. I'm not supposed to tell you to try Onlinecarstereo.com for a great selection of gear at very reasonable prices.(Did I say that out loud?)

The Input signal you're getting from the head unit you've got is probably very acceptable. If you can adapt to RCA jacks (or the head unit has RCA ports) you're all set. Because you're probably going to need RCA jacks for your amp inputs.Usually you only need speaker wire for the amp outputs to your crossovers and speakers.

As to amps, stick with Hifonics, Phoenix Gold, Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio, and you should come out OK.

Last edited by therewolf; April 22nd, 2010 at 6:21 PM.