Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Colorado 2019 WT in 4 cylinder or V6?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2019, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado 2019 WT in 4 cylinder or V6?

Been seriously looking at this truck for hubby. He's in construction, so just need to haul his ladders and tools and such, no real off-roading. Due to the various job locations, we need good fuel economy. That said, would we regret NOT getting a V6? We don't need to pay more for V6 and more for gas if we really don't NEED the V6. Please advise.
Old July 30th, 2019, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawn Nguyen
Been seriously looking at this truck for hubby. He's in construction, so just need to haul his ladders and tools and such, no real off-roading. Due to the various job locations, we need good fuel economy. That said, would we regret NOT getting a V6? We don't need to pay more for V6 and more for gas if we really don't NEED the V6. Please advise.
If you can do so, get the 4- cylinder LCV 2.5 liter motor. It's a non-turbo motor, but its a _very_ good engine. Alas, Chevrolet discontinued it with the Malibu line, but it is a great motor. It puts out 196-200 horsepower, and the fact that you don't ever need to deal with any turbocharger issues, it is well worth every penney you'll pay for it.
Old July 30th, 2019, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, oilcanhenry. The WT (work trim) comes standard with 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. I don't know what you mean by "LCV." I'm wondering if this is sufficient or is it worth getting the other option of 3.6L V6 engine.
Old August 5th, 2019, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2019 2.5L 4cyl with 6L50 auto extended cab (prefer the 6' bed) have around 11k miles since March. So far I'm impressed and very happy with the truck. It also has the G80 locker and is 2 wheel drive.

Gas mileage is typically around 25 mpgs but I have had some highway stretches that get me up 31 mpg for over 50 miles.

We tow a T@B 320 S teardrop trailer that is usually around 2100 lbs and have a couple hundred pounds of gear in the bed. So the truck does pull. Even without a payload and/or towing the truck is not going to win races, but it does get the job done competently and our gas mileage while towing the above is usually around 18 mpgs (sometimes 16 mpgs).

I purposely chose the 4 cylinder because the all of the Colorados have been independently SAE J2807 certified to tow their spec'd capacities under some gruelling conditions. So for my needs... the 4 cylinder gasser was a compromise of fuel economy with enough power to tow our little teardrop sufficiently. We tow at 60mph and 55 mph when stated (California). There are others that tow much faster (70+ mph), but the nüCamp trailer manual states 65mph is the highest recommended speed (limited mostly by the trailer tire rating). I prefer longevity over excessive wear due to heat generated at higher speeds.

The WT has a lot of features like carplay/Android auto on the head unit. Decent sounding stereo, multiple digital gauges to monitor individual tire pressures, transmission fluid temp, engine oil pressure, and a nice eco computer that computes average mpg over the last 25, 50, and 450 miles and shows real-time mpg. There are also 2 separate trip computers to calculate avg mpg over the trip (I reset on a fresh tank). The truck has all the proper wiring in place to add a 7way/4 pin harness at the bumper with a direct battery wire that has a relay.

Since purchase, I have added a Bulllit spray bedliner, a deezee rubber mat and a Tyger trifold tonneau cover. For gas, I mostly run Shell 87, but may try 89 when towing to see if the additional octane improves acceleration (due to longer runs and hotter engine temps maybe a less volatile gas would time better for power).
Old August 5th, 2019, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much, splatmatt. I went ahead and got the V6 because the dealer was able to give it to me for only $670 more. I really appreciate all the info you gave though!! Our son has a small trailer that we might borrow and tow it every now and then to go to the lake. It's great to learn of the mileage you're getting! His current/old truck is 2001 that gets 11 mpg, so it sucks. Yes, we do need to look into getting a bed liner and other stuff when budget allows. Thank you again!
Old August 6th, 2019, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hey have some pre owned 2019 Chevy Colorado give me a call if you are interested
Old August 6th, 2019, 4:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawn Nguyen
Thank you, oilcanhenry. The WT (work trim) comes standard with 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. I don't know what you mean by "LCV." I'm wondering if this is sufficient or is it worth getting the other option of 3.6L V6 engine.
LCV is a destination so that it is not confused with another engine. If it were modified, then Chevrolet would change that designation to a different one.