Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Help troubleshooting Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2008, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help troubleshooting Brake Lights

2004 Colorado LS, 4 cyl.

The 2 rear tail lights come on when the lights are turned on (all 4 bulbs). They do not light up when I hit the brakes. The brake light above the cabin does come on, however.

I can't find a fuse under the hood that is labeled brake lights or similar.

Any thoughts as to why only the middle light comes on when I hit the brakes, and not the 2 tail lights?
Old March 12th, 2008, 6:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Help troubleshooting Brake Lights

both the high mount and the lower brake lights share the same power and ground. So if the high mount is working, then the fuse isn't blown. check to see if maybe the bulbs are burnt out, and while the bulbs are out, see what is missing from the circuit, power or ground and trace them back from there
Old March 12th, 2008, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

There was a recall for the stop light switch on the Colorado. I have a 2005 4x4 5cyl. The recall was for faulty stop light (brake) switches that would stay on, not come on, or only light the cab light or bed lights.

I had the recall done to my truck. My problem was that when they replaced the swich they didn't do it correctly and the brakes were constantly on just slightly. Itcaused the rotors to warp and the pads to wear out quickly.

Good luck with your truck!
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have similar problem and is looking for a solution. Please help.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem. only the two taillights dont come on but the cab light does. i found out that the fuse failed so i replaced it and it worked but then found out the next day that it failed again. I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Old March 21st, 2010, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help troubleshooting Brake Lights

Jeff...the rear brake lights are stuck...I can push the plastic button at brake pedal back toward driver & brake lights go out...I just can not get that switch to same position as before bleed.
Old April 11th, 2010, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default brake lights

I have a similar problem except it is the left rear running lights. They would not come on. I have temporarily jumped them from the right side lights and they work fine. There is a wiring bundle on the underneath left rear with several connectors to feed the various lights on the rear end of the truck. The trick is to find the main feed for the brake lights and make sure you have power to that wire. That would require you to disconnect the connectors and check for voltage at the truck front end side of the connectors with the brake pedal pushed. If you have voltage there then the problem is at the connector. If you have no voltage then trace the wiring towards the front until you reach another connector point etc. A helpful suggestion would be to stop at a dealer and get a picture of the harness. The parts guy can pull up this picture as the harness is a replaceable item. I believe that the connectors are not water tight for whatever reason and corrosion is the problem

Last edited by bobsterbailey; April 11th, 2010 at 5:58 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

my 2003 silerados right brake light goes out every time i replace it, ironically the right side mirrow defog stoped working. could there be a short in wiring?
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Similar problem here I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 and the cab brake light works but the rear ones do not. could it be the brake switch at the brake pedal