Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

GM Diagnosis techniques

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Diagnosis techniques

I am the guy that had the throttle body problem. I had the car ...2011 Chevy Cruze at the dealer multiple times for jerking, slow acceleration and lag. After the second time I still had the issues but they were milder. They never fixed the problem. I believe the throttle body was the problem all along because now that I am $435 lighter in the wallet due to warranty being less than a month out of date there is no more jerking or rough acceleration. The dealer said they didn't get a code for throttle body when they hooked up the computer. Well wouldn't the symptoms I described suggest checking the throttle body? GM has a major problem on their hands with the Cruze. I am financed through Ally and I am seriously considering letting them reposess this car . My safety is more important to me than my credit rating. And let me add the service adviser at the dealer from where I bought the car gave me a lecture on how I should have bought the extended warranty

Last edited by Brian6269; February 12th, 2016 at 6:03 PM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian6269
Well wouldn't the symptoms I described suggest checking the throttle body?
nope.
Please describe how a shop should check the throttle body.

other than a visual, bi-directional control and viewing live data; can you recommend any further tests if those all check out ok?
Old February 12th, 2016, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My point is

How did dealer #2 diagnose that it was the throttle body, when dealer #1 couldn't figure it out. When I originally had it in with the acceleration, stalling and rough idling concerns at dealer #1 shouldn't they have concluded it was a bad throttle body?
Old February 12th, 2016, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

jerking, slow acceleration and lag.

acceleration, stalling and rough idling

these different and somewhat vague descriptions do not point directly to a throttlebody. Many things can cause these symptoms. non dtc diagnosis is about ruling out what you can, gathering evidence or indication of a possible fault component. Sometimes, until the problem gets worse, you won't find the fault. The first shop could not find the problem and to their credit, did not guess.

maybe the 2nd tech was just better. the point i'm making is the symptoms do not scream bad throttle body. I certainly would not want to call a $400 part on a hunch.
I do understand your frustration and would speak to gm customer service and state that the problem was brought up under the warranty period, was not repaired until 1 month after the warranty expired. they consider these things for goodwill warranty purposes. A number of factors are considered to meet goodwill warranty criteria.

Last edited by tech2; February 12th, 2016 at 8:23 PM.