Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine Building & Overhauling (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/engine-building-overhauling-43/)
-   -   "low mileage" used v6 turbo engine question (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/engine-building-overhauling-43/low-mileage-used-v6-turbo-engine-question-90149/)

bustangs April 29th, 2018 3:41 AM

"low mileage" used v6 turbo engine question

needed some suggestions, have a spare "low mileage" engine sitting around that i need to use. Before i swap it in, wondered what i should do? no idea how many miles, so thinking maybe take the pan off and look at the bearing for a base line to see what type of condition this engine is in?

can't run it outside of car, so pretty sure can't accurately do a compression or leak down test.

​​​​​​​any suggestions appreciated.

oilcanhenry April 29th, 2018 4:53 PM

Originally Posted by bustangs (Post 356316)
needed some suggestions, have a spare "low mileage" engine sitting around that i need to use. Before i swap it in, wondered what i should do? no idea how many miles, so thinking maybe take the pan off and look at the bearing for a base line to see what type of condition this engine is in?

can't run it outside of car, so pretty sure can't accurately do a compression or leak down test.

​​​​​​​any suggestions appreciated.

You could check the oil pressure. If its below 40 PSI when warm at 1500 RPM, its getting old/worn-out. If below 30 PSI warm at idle, get it rebuilt or a crate motor.

Thats assuming you can start it up outside the vehicle.

Could also send in an oil sample to have the oil checked for metals and other things, like antifreeze in the oil and other similar conditions.

bustangs April 29th, 2018 7:05 PM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 356342)
You could check the oil pressure. If its below 40 PSI when warm at 1500 RPM, its getting old/worn-out. If below 30 PSI warm at idle, get it rebuilt or a crate motor.

Thats assuming you can start it up outside the vehicle.

Could also send in an oil sample to have the oil checked for metals and other things, like antifreeze in the oil and other similar conditions.

Thanks, but i mentioned above can't run outside of car, otherwise i would do the compression and leak down tests...best i can think of is look at bearing to see how worn they are...

tech2 April 29th, 2018 8:14 PM

car doesn't have to "running" to perform a leakdown test or compression test, ideally it should be warm but both can be done out of car.

bustangs April 29th, 2018 9:32 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 356357)
car doesn't have to "running" to perform a leakdown test or compression test, ideally it should be warm but both can be done out of car.

Both tests are suggesting it be done with engine warm. Doesn't run outside of car so it's going to be cold. Not sure how accurate the results would be?

tech2 April 30th, 2018 8:07 AM

if i had an engine i knew nothing about, i would be doing these testing before i spent the effort to install it.