Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

"low mileage" used v6 turbo engine question

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2018, 3:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "low mileage" used v6 turbo engine question

needed some suggestions, have a spare "low mileage" engine sitting around that i need to use. Before i swap it in, wondered what i should do? no idea how many miles, so thinking maybe take the pan off and look at the bearing for a base line to see what type of condition this engine is in?

can't run it outside of car, so pretty sure can't accurately do a compression or leak down test.

​​​​​​​any suggestions appreciated.
Old April 29th, 2018, 4:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bustangs
needed some suggestions, have a spare "low mileage" engine sitting around that i need to use. Before i swap it in, wondered what i should do? no idea how many miles, so thinking maybe take the pan off and look at the bearing for a base line to see what type of condition this engine is in?

can't run it outside of car, so pretty sure can't accurately do a compression or leak down test.

​​​​​​​any suggestions appreciated.
You could check the oil pressure. If its below 40 PSI when warm at 1500 RPM, its getting old/worn-out. If below 30 PSI warm at idle, get it rebuilt or a crate motor.

Thats assuming you can start it up outside the vehicle.

Could also send in an oil sample to have the oil checked for metals and other things, like antifreeze in the oil and other similar conditions.
Old April 29th, 2018, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
You could check the oil pressure. If its below 40 PSI when warm at 1500 RPM, its getting old/worn-out. If below 30 PSI warm at idle, get it rebuilt or a crate motor.

Thats assuming you can start it up outside the vehicle.

Could also send in an oil sample to have the oil checked for metals and other things, like antifreeze in the oil and other similar conditions.
Thanks, but i mentioned above can't run outside of car, otherwise i would do the compression and leak down tests...best i can think of is look at bearing to see how worn they are...
Old April 29th, 2018, 8:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

car doesn't have to "running" to perform a leakdown test or compression test, ideally it should be warm but both can be done out of car.
Old April 29th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
car doesn't have to "running" to perform a leakdown test or compression test, ideally it should be warm but both can be done out of car.
Both tests are suggesting it be done with engine warm. Doesn't run outside of car so it's going to be cold. Not sure how accurate the results would be?
Old April 30th, 2018, 8:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if i had an engine i knew nothing about, i would be doing these testing before i spent the effort to install it.