Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   05 Equinox dragging/seizing front brakes (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/05-equinox-dragging-seizing-front-brakes-66270/)

ivins812@yahoo.com June 25th, 2014 7:15 PM

05 Equinox dragging/seizing front brakes

Replaced both front calipers, after they seized-up. Flushed/bled system (no trash). New calipers are dragging as well. When I bleed each caliper, it releases. Indicating a check-valve/ anti-lock problem. What gives ???

ruley73 June 26th, 2014 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by ivins812@yahoo.com (Post 278994)
Replaced both front calipers, after they seized-up. Flushed/bled system (no trash). New calipers are dragging as well. When I bleed each caliper, it releases. Indicating a check-valve/ anti-lock problem. What gives ???

I'm thinking the brake hoses are bad. If you live in the rust belt (where a lot of salt is applied to the roads in the winter), I'd bet this is definitely the problem. The front brake hoses have a metal mounting bracket in the middle of them that rusts. The rusting bracket pinches the hose tighter and tighter as more rust develops over time. This almost always causes the check-valve like affect that you are observing with the calipers.

A lot of owners have had this same problem with the older Saturn Vue. The 2002-2007 Vue uses the exact same brake hoses as the 2005-2006 Equinox/Torrent.

Don't forget to lube up the caliper pins with appropriate grease. The calipers will inevitably seize up in short order if the pins are not greased. New grease should always be applied to the guide pins whenever the brake pads are changed. It's also good practice to replace the rubber guide pin boots whenever the pads are changed. The boots have a tendency to deteriorate/crack/weaken over time, but are inexpensive to replace.

Good Luck!

Donny Baker June 26th, 2019 9:13 PM

I had the exact problem

Replaced both both brake lines. That fixed it! I should have known when I replaced the calipers and the brake fluid did not drain out of the hose during the install. Duh.

Thank you you for taking the time to answer.

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 279014)
I'm thinking the brake hoses are bad. If you live in the rust belt (where a lot of salt is applied to the roads in the winter), I'd bet this is definitely the problem. The front brake hoses have a metal mounting bracket in the middle of them that rusts. The rusting bracket pinches the hose tighter and tighter as more rust develops over time. This almost always causes the check-valve like affect that you are observing with the calipers.

A lot of owners have had this same problem with the older Saturn Vue. The 2002-2007 Vue uses the exact same brake hoses as the 2005-2006 Equinox/Torrent.

Don't forget to lube up the caliper pins with appropriate grease. The calipers will inevitably seize up in short order if the pins are not greased. New grease should always be applied to the guide pins whenever the brake pads are changed. It's also good practice to replace the rubber guide pin boots whenever the pads are changed. The boots have a tendency to deteriorate/crack/weaken over time, but are inexpensive to replace.

Good Luck!