Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

05 Equinox dragging/seizing front brakes

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2014, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 Equinox dragging/seizing front brakes

Replaced both front calipers, after they seized-up. Flushed/bled system (no trash). New calipers are dragging as well. When I bleed each caliper, it releases. Indicating a check-valve/ anti-lock problem. What gives ???
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ivins812@yahoo.com
Replaced both front calipers, after they seized-up. Flushed/bled system (no trash). New calipers are dragging as well. When I bleed each caliper, it releases. Indicating a check-valve/ anti-lock problem. What gives ???
I'm thinking the brake hoses are bad. If you live in the rust belt (where a lot of salt is applied to the roads in the winter), I'd bet this is definitely the problem. The front brake hoses have a metal mounting bracket in the middle of them that rusts. The rusting bracket pinches the hose tighter and tighter as more rust develops over time. This almost always causes the check-valve like affect that you are observing with the calipers.

A lot of owners have had this same problem with the older Saturn Vue. The 2002-2007 Vue uses the exact same brake hoses as the 2005-2006 Equinox/Torrent.

Don't forget to lube up the caliper pins with appropriate grease. The calipers will inevitably seize up in short order if the pins are not greased. New grease should always be applied to the guide pins whenever the brake pads are changed. It's also good practice to replace the rubber guide pin boots whenever the pads are changed. The boots have a tendency to deteriorate/crack/weaken over time, but are inexpensive to replace.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ruley73; July 13th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Donny Baker (June 26th, 2019)
Old June 26th, 2019, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the exact problem

Replaced both both brake lines. That fixed it! I should have known when I replaced the calipers and the brake fluid did not drain out of the hose during the install. Duh.

Thank you you for taking the time to answer.

Originally Posted by ruley73
I'm thinking the brake hoses are bad. If you live in the rust belt (where a lot of salt is applied to the roads in the winter), I'd bet this is definitely the problem. The front brake hoses have a metal mounting bracket in the middle of them that rusts. The rusting bracket pinches the hose tighter and tighter as more rust develops over time. This almost always causes the check-valve like affect that you are observing with the calipers.

A lot of owners have had this same problem with the older Saturn Vue. The 2002-2007 Vue uses the exact same brake hoses as the 2005-2006 Equinox/Torrent.

Don't forget to lube up the caliper pins with appropriate grease. The calipers will inevitably seize up in short order if the pins are not greased. New grease should always be applied to the guide pins whenever the brake pads are changed. It's also good practice to replace the rubber guide pin boots whenever the pads are changed. The boots have a tendency to deteriorate/crack/weaken over time, but are inexpensive to replace.

Good Luck!