Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Equinox won't start after battery disconnnected

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2013, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have an 07 equinox and 2 weeks ago I was trying to clear a code and disconnected my battery. After hooking it back up it would not start. I had power, wipers, headlights, radio. But things like the windows, door locks, FOB, would not. (The key also was then stuck in ignition) This happened on a Saturday and had to wait to the following Wednesday to get an apt at the shop. I tried it a few times the day it happened and got nowhere. When Wednesday came I had no belief it would start but turned they key and it started right up.

I called the shop and they said that if it was now working there was nothing to look at, and canceled my apt. A week later I had the radio on and killed the battery fairly quick. Went out and bought a new battery (and had it tested) put it in and back to nothing working. I left an hour later to go to work, when I got home 8 hrs later it started right up. Still no idea what's going on. Have an apt this upcoming Friday, so when I pull in I'm going to disconnect the batter then hook it back up so they have their " problem " to look at.
Old August 19th, 2013, 2:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Macha_nick
I touched a screwdriver across the starter solenoid terminals and there is a whirring noise but still no start. The whirring noise almost sounds like the starter is turning but the starter bendix is not going out to engage. But when I try starting with the key there is no noise at all from under the hood. So at this point I'm not thinking it's a starter issue. Maybe more something with the computer?
Try turning the key to the RUN position and moving the shifter through all the gears and back into park. Then try to start again. You could also try leaving the shifter in Neutral and try to start it. If the shifter is in any position but Park or Neutral the engine computer disables the starter.

Last edited by ruley73; August 19th, 2013 at 2:35 AM.
Old November 15th, 2013, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crash12928
So I have an 07 equinox and 2 weeks ago I was trying to clear a code and disconnected my battery. After hooking it back up it would not start. I had power, wipers, headlights, radio. But things like the windows, door locks, FOB, would not. (The key also was then stuck in ignition) This happened on a Saturday and had to wait to the following Wednesday to get an apt at the shop. I tried it a few times the day it happened and got nowhere. When Wednesday came I had no belief it would start but turned they key and it started right up.

I called the shop and they said that if it was now working there was nothing to look at, and canceled my apt. A week later I had the radio on and killed the battery fairly quick. Went out and bought a new battery (and had it tested) put it in and back to nothing working. I left an hour later to go to work, when I got home 8 hrs later it started right up. Still no idea what's going on. Have an apt this upcoming Friday, so when I pull in I'm going to disconnect the batter then hook it back up so they have their " problem " to look at.
I have this exact problem. My battery is original (7 yrs old) so I'll get a new battery tomorrow and see what's up. I started a new post asking about this.
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomwalt
I have this exact problem. My battery is original (7 yrs old) so I'll get a new battery tomorrow and see what's up. I started a new post asking about this.
Just an update from me. Ended up I fried my BCM (Body Control Module)
Old November 16th, 2013, 1:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crash12928
Just an update from me. Ended up I fried my BCM (Body Control Module)
I'm afraid of that as well. All I did was pull the battery to charge it. Thanks for the reply.