Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Can't use hands free calling with my smart phone

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2018, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't use hands free calling with my smart phone

2018 Equinox LT with the 7" screen.
My 2016 Motorola G3, my wife's 2016 G3, my daughter's 2016 Samsung, and the dealer's iPhone 5S cannot be used with the Chevy hands free calling button on the steering wheel. When you press the hands-free calling button on the steering wheel after pairing the phone via Bluetooth, instead of asking you who you'd like to call, the car system immediately begins dialing the last number that you called on your phone.
An iPhone 7 at the dealership DID work properly.
Consequently the dealer says it's a a phone problem, not a car problem. They checked for bulletins on this matter (there aren't any), uploaded the latest firmware, but still not working. Trouble is, this shouldn't BE an issue, and also there's no list of compatible phones.

Last edited by Wilyums; January 5th, 2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: adding information
Old January 8th, 2018, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out, in order to use the new-for-2018 radios hands-free calling you need:
1) A data plan on your phone (I have that)
2) To turn off your power-on password on your phone - whatever form that takes (eg swipe, password, face recognition etc) (I did that reluctantly, and I'm going to experiment further to see if this is really necessary)
3) Install Android Auto (or the iPhone equivalent) (of course)
4) Link your phone and car system via bluetooth (of course)
5) Take your phone out of your pocket, since the system is going to use your phone's microphone to listen to your command (too strange)
6) Push AND HOLD the hands-free button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds, then wait a few seconds until the car's display shows that it's ready to hear your command. (It's the AND HOLD part that was really messing me up. If you DON'T hold, the system simply dials again the last number you called)
7) While waiting for the system to respond, use the volume buttons on the steering wheel to make sure the car phone speaker volume is high enough to hear what Ms Google says.
7) Once that speak-now emoji come up on the screen say "Call whoever you're calling."
8) If there is more than one number associated with that name, the system will ask you which you want to call. Answer the question.
9) Wait a few seconds, and BINGO! your call should go through!
A BIG thank you to my Chevy Service Manager for calling me in to show me how the system works. The guys in the garage did not know what to make of the 2018 radio.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar issue. 2013 Malibu LT. When I had my iPhone 7, calls would come in, I would press the phone answer button, and the call would go through my speakers. Now I have an iPhone SE (similar to the 5). When calls some in, I press the button and the call goes to the handset - not the speakers. I've tried messing with the accessibility options but that doesn't help. I can dial out fine. It's just incoming calls that are the problem. I REALLY hope this isn't the case with iPhone SE's because I NEED my phone bluetooth. Thanks!