Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2014, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Stabilitract and Check Engine light

I have a 2012 Chevy impala and have only had it for 2 yrs. I have had to replace the front and back oil seals and the battery twice and the CD Player don't work either. We had to go to WV for my brother in law funeral back in August of this yr car did fine but came back home and the next day these 2 lights come on so I took it and got the computer read out and told the dealer the problem. Then they tell me it would cost me about 300.00 for them just to check it out not what it would cost to fix it just really upset that I pay so much for a car that is just falling apart
Need to know what can be done about it
Old October 22nd, 2014, 4:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Our apologies for this inconvenience, TYoung65! We'd like to reach out to your dealership and try to assist with this matter. Please private message us your VIN, mileage, full contact information and dealership name if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 23rd, 2014, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

Angry shifting problems

Originally Posted by moonover
07 equinox with 80k miles, just had a fuel pump recall/warrenty and now having these idle problems and stability/traction control lights come on. I see where this is all related. My chevy garage will not yet agree with me. Getting frustrated.

I own a 2012 Equinox & have also owned a 2010 one too. I am reading about these "throttle" problems & wonder if what I am having is the same thing. I told my dealer that my 2012 seems to be sticking when it shifts we will hear the engine noise (almost a roar) & then jerk to the next gear. The last time I had it in they of course could not get it to do it. My husband has also had it happen when he is driving.
Do you think this is the same problem some of you are having & if so why can't we get the dealers or Chevy themselves to look into it before an accident happens?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 1:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmema
I own a 2012 Equinox & have also owned a 2010 one too. I am reading about these "throttle" problems & wonder if what I am having is the same thing. I told my dealer that my 2012 seems to be sticking when it shifts we will hear the engine noise (almost a roar) & then jerk to the next gear. The last time I had it in they of course could not get it to do it. My husband has also had it happen when he is driving.
Do you think this is the same problem some of you are having & if so why can't we get the dealers or Chevy themselves to look into it before an accident happens?
Please let us know if this is something we can further investigate for you, ohmema. We want you to feel confident in your vehicle and we'll gladly reach out to your dealership about this. If interested, just message us your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership name.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

I am at a loss here too. RPM's have been bouncing up and down since we bought it, thought this was noraml. I started getting the stabilitrak light and SES light shortly after replacing hub assembly. Lights only come one at steady speeds. Never lost power, YET! Codes said bad EGR valve and also interfered with the shifting in my car. Replaced EGR vavle, still getting lights. Did a transmission service. Thought a tune up would help, still getting lights. Ran seafoam and techron through vehicle, no help. Talked to a mechanic here and they said something about the ECM or PCM, and they are to the point that they won't even work on Equinoxes anymore. That's sad! We have a few dealerships here in town, so now I get to figure out which one I can take it to and probably pay a lot of money for not fixing my vehicle. Chevy wants us to keep buying there vehicles but can't fix them when they mess up. I don't know what to do at this point. A free vehicle diagnostic test would be nice. Been dealing with this since April and have tried so many things, talked to so many mechanics, took vehicle to transmission shop and still can't figure out what's going on. Guess I will call Worden Martin here in town and hope they are better then the actual Chevrolet dealership!
Old November 17th, 2014, 1:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by momeeof2
...RPM's have been bouncing up and down since we bought it, thought this was noraml....
What RPM does your idle fluctuate between? Usually, erratic idle is caused by a vacuum leak or misfires. Sometimes idle fluctuation is normal depending on the conditions, but generally speaking it is not. Does the check engine light blink at all? If so, this would indicate a misfire. As far as a vacuum leak goes, there aren't many failure points on the Equinox. Inspect the brake booster hose, make sure the fitting it connects to is tight in the intake plenum, and inspect the air filter housing and intake hose to make sure all the clamps are tight and the filter is seated properly. If this checks out, you may have an intake plenum gasket leak.
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

The RPM"s bounce between 700 and 1000. I know it's not much but I don't think its normal. It's worse when the car is in gear, when I left of the gas to coast, it feels like it might die sometimes. The only codes I am getting are for the EGR valve and only when I am at a steady speed. Did a tune-up. Mechanic thinks it could be the ECM or PCM.
Old December 24th, 2014, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default my Truck keeps having the same problem

Welll it's funny to see all these Chevy vehicles having the same damn problem and getting the same damn results NOTHING. .. i am so pissed because of this me and my kids r stranded on Christmas eve... I hate Chevy they dnt help. Nor do they even care.
I'm so tired of playing games bout ready to roll it down a hill on fire into a Chevy dealership
Old December 25th, 2014, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

My problem was resolved with an EGR Valve. We put a new one on that we bought from auto zone but it wasn't compatible with our vehicle. The dealership put an actual gm EGR valve on it and problem fixed. Good luck!
Old December 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default hope this helps... (reduce engine power & engine "safe mode"

I've had this problem with my Chevy Cruz '11. Reduce engine power, stability a light comes on, etc...

Seems that the main computer (ECM harness - yes the big ones) has connectors that have a difficult time maintaining connection to the pins and signals that other components send to it.

***The Chevy dealership put some dielectric grease on the harness connectors and it seems to have fixed my issues.***

I was getting issues across the board. Mainly TCM (transmission control module) and Stabilitrak a but that wasn't the only issues. It seemed like these phantom problems were all over the vehicle. It makes sense that the ECM or the connections to the main computer would be the issue. Chevy's wiring harnesses need to be redesigned and protect the connector a bit better from moisture and elements.

I hope that helps some/all of you. It's been a few months since my issues had stated occurring but it's been fine thus far.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light