Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

'05 Rear Hatch Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Rear Hatch Won't Unlock

Equinox Rear Hatch won't unlock, can't find manual release, anywhere. I have tried to remove the rear panel, but can only get top half loose because the bottom part is screwed on and not accessible when the hatch is closed. Where is lock actuator? Any suggestions to getting the hatch open in order to repair it?
Old June 6th, 2011, 8:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by steelfin
Equinox Rear Hatch won't unlock, can't find manual release, anywhere. I have tried to remove the rear panel, but can only get top half loose because the bottom part is screwed on and not accessible when the hatch is closed. Where is lock actuator? Any suggestions to getting the hatch open in order to repair it?

Steelfin,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Equinox. Were you trying to unlock the hatch from your key fob?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 6th, 2011, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I have tried the key fob and the unlock button on the doors, but nothing seems to work.
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

steelfin,

Thank you for that information. Would you please provide me with your VIN so I can see if there are any recalls? Also, have you been to the dealership for this issue?

Thank you

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default rear hatch wont unlock

Crawl in the back,pull the trim away from the top.Follow the rod going down to the latch from the handle.The rod connects to a gold colored lever.Use a mirror if you need,but you will see a ring type lever under the gold colored lever.Move the ring type lever and your hatch will open,at least mine did and i had the same problem.Good luck.
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:17 PM
Newly Registered

Default '05 Equinox Hatchback won't open.

Let the rear seats down and crawl into the back of cargo area. Tools I used: Battery operated drill with T-30 hex tip (like a Phillips tip screwdriver end) to insert into the drill, but with an extension. Also a flashlight. About 8 inches from the center of the bottom of the hatchback, there is a screw on both sides, the left and the right. Pull up on the panel slightly and put your hammer in place, claws towards the rear of the car or hatchback door, handle towards the top. Now pull down on the handle of hammer towards the front of veh and aim your flashlight at the screw under the panel that you are raising. You will see the hex screw (T-30), one on each side from the center, and approx 8-10 inches. It may not seem easy but this total job takes about 10 minutes. I have pictures of mine job and will try and upload them. If not I can email them. Lay the drill on its side, insert the T-30 or one size smaller, and take the 2 screws out. Grab and pull the panel (with a little force) up and out of the way, one side at a time. You may have to bend it a little. Now shine your light on the mechanism that has come loose from the rod that opens your door. Just by looking at it, you will see how to insert the little silver metal end back into place and spin the plastic keeper around and snap it into place. Done ! Open hatchback from the inside or outside the veh and put panel back on. You just saved yourself about $200 - $300.