Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

08 equinox ac fan blower erratic

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2018, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 equinox ac fan blower erratic

My 08 NOX has competed 160k. I noticed During the recent spell of hot weather that the ac blower speed was very erratic. Ie the. Flow of air speed kept varying. Using obd I noticed that the ac high side pressure varies between 130-260 psi. The air was cold though. Is my compressor giving way?
Old September 6th, 2018, 2:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by David DSa
My 08 NOX has competed 160k. I noticed During the recent spell of hot weather that the ac blower speed was very erratic. Ie the. Flow of air speed kept varying. Using obd I noticed that the ac high side pressure varies between 130-260 psi. The air was cold though. Is my compressor giving way?
There are a few things going on that will affect blower motor speed and A/C compressor operation. I'll address both, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

There are two things that will dramatically impact the perceived blower motor speed and air output. The first is that the climate control unit will sometimes automatically switch between recirculation and vent modes when the A/C is running. This is supposed to help regulate A/C system pressure when necessary and is perfectly normal, but obviously the blower motor is much louder when recirculation mode is selected. The other factor is Electrical Power Management (EPM). In short, the alternator's output voltage is regulated by a computer to help optimize battery charging. As a result, when output voltage is low, blower motor speed decreases. I've monitored System Voltage on the DIC when this occurs and blower motor speed noticeably drops when the voltage drops below about 13.2 volts. I've seen voltage as low as 12.6V while driving on long trips which is normal operation. You can override EPM by manually turning on your headlights. This will keep output voltage around 13.9-14.1 volts.

It is also normal for A/C compressor to cycle on/off. The computer monitors refrigerant pressure and temperature at the evaporator core, and cycles the compressor accordingly.
Old September 6th, 2018, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a clear and concise response. Thanks.

You metioned that the system overrides internal circulation based on demand. This probably explains outside odours in recirculating mode.
Old September 6th, 2018, 5:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by David DSa
That was a clear and concise response. Thanks.

You metioned that the system overrides internal circulation based on demand. This probably explains outside odours in recirculating mode.
EPM is disabled when demand is detected, but the computer is specifically programmed to disable it when the headlights are manually switched on according to the service manual.

If you are smelling any odors at all, you should check your cabin air filter.