Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

08 Equinox overheating & 1 fan only works

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2019, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Equinox overheating & 1 fan only works

1 fan working when a/c turned on & overheats in traffic not on freeway
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:22 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i know on my 04 imp if i unplug the coolant temp sensor it will kick both fans on. i would try that and see if both fans kick on or if one does.
The following users liked this post:
Darrell Matthew Smith (August 14th, 2019)
Old August 15th, 2019, 1:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell Matthew Smith
1 fan working when a/c turned on & overheats in traffic not on freeway
Disconnect the radiator fan electrical plug and inspect for signs of excessive heat. The 2005-2009 Equinox commonly develops a weak connection there over time. If the problem doesn't get addressed quick enough, the radiator fan plug can melt which may prevent one or both of the fans from working properly. However, you might get lucky and simply reseating the plug and cleaning the terminals may fix the problem. This was the case with our Equinox a few years ago and we haven't had a problem since.

You could have a bad relay, but I would start by inspecting the plug because I know this is a common issue.
The following users liked this post:
Darrell Matthew Smith (August 15th, 2019)
Old August 15th, 2019, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you for help & knowledge

Originally Posted by ruley73
Disconnect the radiator fan electrical plug and inspect for signs of excessive heat. The 2005-2009 Equinox commonly develops a weak connection there over time. If the problem doesn't get addressed quick enough, the radiator fan plug can melt which may prevent one or both of the fans from working properly. However, you might get lucky and simply reseating the plug and cleaning the terminals may fix the problem. This was the case with our Equinox a few years ago and we haven't had a problem since.

You could have a bad relay, but I would start by inspecting the plug because I know this is a common issue.
I checked fuses & Relays They're working but before That neither would work I checked plugs at fans & that may be the problem. The other fan should come on w/o a/c being on ?
Previous Owner apparently used regular antifreeze instead of Dexcool , No problems til I drained& flushed cooling system & Bought correct Dexcool antifreeze.
Possible sensors on radiator/motor may need attention? Thank You DMS

Old August 15th, 2019, 4:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

While the car is turned off see if you can spin the fan that doesn't turn on. If it's hard to turn it seized up. If it turns freely it could be wiring issue. It could be the computer is just not telling it to turn on because it doesn't need to turn on. it could be an issue with the motor. It could be a contact issue with the plug.

You can try hooking 12 volts up to it manually and see if it turns on.

If the previous owner was using antifreeze that was not rated for your vehicle that could have caused corrosion and build up which could have broken free and plugged things up when you did the switch to the proper antifreeze.
Old August 15th, 2019, 4:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, make sure the radiator and condensing coil is not plugged up with debris. I worked on one where the guy lived on a dirt road and after 3 years of driving up and down it the radiator and condensing coil was completely clogged up with dirt from the road.
Old August 16th, 2019, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
While the car is turned off see if you can spin the fan that doesn't turn on. If it's hard to turn it seized up. If it turns freely it could be wiring issue. It could be the computer is just not telling it to turn on because it doesn't need to turn on. it could be an issue with the motor. It could be a contact issue with the plug.

You can try hooking 12 volts up to it manually and see if it turns on.

If the previous owner was using antifreeze that was not rated for your vehicle that could have caused corrosion and build up which could have broken free and plugged things up when you did the switch to the proper antifreeze.
Connections in plug at fan are burned so I temporarily rigged it to a ignition fuse under hood getting electrical supplies now to fix correctly.
Thank you. Again for help & knowledge