Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

'15 Equinox with BIG Issues!

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2015, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '15 Equinox with BIG Issues!

Hello, all! I'm new here because I need some insight, so buckle up, because this one's rough.

I leased my 2015 Equinox in April after trading in my 2012 Equinox. I loved my first one so much, I wanted to keep it, but with some upgrades. Nothing was wrong with my '12, it just had a lot of miles, so I turned it in. First mistake.

When I had owned the car for about a month, I started having some stalling issues. When I would come to a stop or be stuck in traffic, the engine would just cut out and then the steering wheel would shake violently on startup. This went on a few times before I was able to get it to the dealer (I would 7am to 5pm, the dealer service is 9am to 5pm, so I had to leave work early to bring in my car..)

Get to dealer, they have no loaner car that they promised (because if you thought I wanted to drive my Equinox home, you're wrong). So here it is, 4:30pm, boys are looking to go home and no one really wants to look at my car. One guy says he'll do it, but "I'll have to be quick." He gives it a once over, tells me nothing is visibly wrong with it, tells me to make a "more convenient appointment" and come back. This was a Wednesday, next day I could bring it back was Saturday. Fine, whatever, I'll do it.

Saturday comes, they take my car. I also tell them about the radio and other electrical problems - the radio turns on and off of it's own volition, backup camera likes to turn on in reverse and stay on in drive, or even better, not come on in reverse, but only in drive. Also issues with the bluetooth and my sunroof won't open at all. So they say here's your loaner car, we'll call you when your car's fixed. One week later, they tell me that they've managed to fix everything except for the stalling issue.

Pick up car, and two days later, notice a high welt on my passenger side leather seat, and a smell, like someone left rotting fruit on my seat. There is now a stain, a smell, and an issue with my heated seat and the airbag sensor. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until two days after I picked up the car because it was the intense heat outside later that week that made me notice. Adding insult to injury that your guys are eating in my car or something and ruining the seat I'm going to wind up paying for at the end of my lease. Anyway.

Some time passes with no stalling, however the radio that they replaced (you're telling me you had to replace a radio in a brand new car?) is STILL not functioning properly. Sunroof is now opening and closing properly only sometimes, but sometimes it gets stuck. I figure fine, whatever, I'll call them when I can.

One day, about a month later, I have a stalling problem three times in one day. Once leaving my house for work, then twice at work on my lunch break in a five minute window. Call the service guys at the dealer, another week long stint without my car, and they tell me they've replaced a part in my engine. That was three weeks ago.

No more stalling, thank goodness, but radio and sunroof issues still persist. This past week, I'm leaving work, and it's an okay day. Overcast, but nothing I was worried about. Sunroof had gotten stuck halfway open that morning but it had been sunny that morning and I was okay with leaving it open (and after ten minutes of fiddling with it, I was almost late to clock in). I leave work, and about 30 minutes into my one hour long commute, the skies open up, and thunderstorm ensues, and I am drenched, along with the entire interior of my car, my cell phone, the contents of my purse, books, important papers for work, everything. I was enraged.

I called the managed this past Friday, he told me to come in on Saturday to discuss my options. I have agreed to go to a Malibu, but as someone who drives an LTZ Equinox, I expect the exact same things in a Malibu. I want my trade in money back. In fact, I want all my money back and I want to take my business somewhere else, but I don't know what ground I have to stand on. Lemon Law isn't exactly clean cut and precise. Went in on Saturday, all staff, including the manager, were extremely short with me, as I came in at 4pm and they were closing at 5pm. They said they would call me on Monday after finding a Malibu to suit my needs. It's 5:30pm on Monday, and nothing.

Last thing, I promise. Today, after returning home from the grocery store, my car becomes jammed in the ignition. I have checked my gear shift - nothing is stuck, nothing is blocking, the car is completely in park. I was actually so frustrated that I left my keys in my car and went inside. I'm done. I'm so upset. All this time, this car is giving me hell, I'm still making payments and I feel like there isn't anyone out there to go to.

SO. A few questions. Is anyone having any issues like this on a '15 Equinox (radio, camera, sunroof, engine)? Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I should handle the dealer at this point? Frustrated, annoyed, and tired. I work 50 hours a week, drive three hours each day, and regularly have children in the car. This is an unsafe situation! SOS friends.