Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

19 Equinox Premier Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2023, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 Equinox Premier Backup Camera

Camera came on when I opened car door and ignition was off. Camera should only work when in reverse and shows image with the red and yellow guides. The angle that you can see my partial plate is was popped up when I opened my door.

Last edited by Dogmom08; February 18th, 2023 at 6:17 PM. Reason: Error
Old February 22nd, 2023, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok so what this might be is a wiring issue. I believe (I'll have to look at the diagram when I have more time) that chevy has wired the backup camera as a redundant system. this means that they have it wired in 2 ways. I'm assuming they have the main system wired to the gear selector position and then the redundant system is wired up to the reverse lights. I would also assume that they have a system in there to check for both conditions for example the system gets a signal from the reverse lamps and then it checks to see what position the gear selector is in and if the reverse lamps are on and the gear selector position is in reverse the backup camera will come on. but what I'm trying to say is I think the connection to the gear selector position is broken and now it only relies on the reverse lamps to come on. and sense the reverse lamps usually come on when you put the vehicle in park and open your door the camera comes on. like I said in the beginning ill have to look at some wiring diagrams when I have time and I'll reply and correct any mistakes and let you know of any possible fixes with said wiring diagram attached
Old February 23rd, 2023, 7:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok I found some diagrams.

I don't know if any of this will help but I hope it does
Old February 25th, 2023, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! It’s only happened that one time. Hopefully it was just a glitch