Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox A/C problems.

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox A/C problems.

My the cold air only blows when I am driving otherwise it is just the fan blowing. Ideas with what it is that is wrong and maybe a little direction to fixing it myself would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fhsscrballa
My the cold air only blows when I am driving otherwise it is just the fan blowing. Ideas with what it is that is wrong and maybe a little direction to fixing it myself would be greatly appreciated.
If warm air only blows when the engine is at idle, the scroll control valve in the A/C compressor is bad. This is a common problem in all vehicles that use a scroll A/C compressor, but it is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. Fortunately, the scroll control valve is serviceable so you don't have to replace the whole compressor. This is the part you need. Replacing it will also require getting the A/C refrigerent system evacuated & recharged.
Old July 13th, 2014, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice I will look into it. Is there anyway to tell if its not working? Or do I just have to change it to find out.
Originally Posted by ruley73
If warm air only blows when the engine is at idle, the scroll control valve in the A/C compressor is bad. This is a common problem in all vehicles that use a scroll A/C compressor, but it is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. Fortunately, the scroll control valve is serviceable so you don't have to replace the whole compressor. This is the part you need. Replacing it will also require getting the A/C refrigerent system evacuated & recharged.
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fhsscrballa
Thanks for the advice I will look into it. Is there anyway to tell if its not working? Or do I just have to change it to find out.
If warm air comes out of the vents with the A/C on while the engine is idling or running at a low RPM, but cold air comes out if you're driving or when the engine is running at a higher RPM then the scroll control valve is bad. This is true assuming that your engine cooling fans are turning on when the A/C is switched on. If they are not turning on this could be your problem too.

This valve enables the compressor to operate at the same efficiency regardless of engine RPM by regulating the flow of the refrigerent. So when this valve is bad the engine needs to be running at a higher RPM in order for the A/C system to produce cold air.

Last edited by ruley73; July 13th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old April 15th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

I second this advice. I was able to fix mine thanks to this forum by replacing this valve. It's easy to replace but of course you have to evacuate the refrigerant first (or have that done). If you don't have the equipment for that, find a place that does and is willing to change out the valve for you (you supply it to them) and it shouldn't cost all that much. The place I took it to just charged me for the evacuation and recharge.

If it doesn't actually fix the problem, not much damage done, but it probably will!