Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox duplicate key, and keyfob question

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox duplicate key, and keyfob question

I just got a 2005 Equinox and I wanted to have an extra key made. I'd read that there is nothing special about the keys (no chip) so I took it to Home Depot to be duplicated. Had them make 2 copies and neither one worked (wouldn't turn in the ignition; didn't try the door) so I returned them (didn't want to wait around for another try).

I had also had my house keys duplicated that day and only one of those copies worked, so I figured certainly the guy who made my keys just did a bad job, and went to the local hardware store for try #2. They couldn't make one that worked in 3 tries - these ones, I tried in the door (stiff, but worked) and the ignition (no turn at all).

So what gives? Do I actually have to go to a dealer to get a working key made?

One thing I noticed is that the hardware store had the same machine that Home Depot did - I don't think they had this one last time I had keys made - so maybe that particular machine is just incapable of making a usable copy?

Now, about the keyfob. One of mine has a sticky unlock button. I opened it up expecting to find some sugary sticky stuff had spilled in there or something, but it was clean. The rubber membrane with the buttons was just sticking in the down position. Anyone have experience with loosening this up?
Old June 28th, 2011, 1:38 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go to the dealership for the spare key. Obviously the local keymakers are incapable of making it properly, or there is in fact a security feature built in that is being overlooked.
Old June 29th, 2011, 8:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Educk,

I do not show that there is a chip in your key for your 2005 Equinox. It appears that the two places you got a key made at did not cut it properly. An incorrect key could damage the vehicles ignition components. I would encourage you to try a different place that makes keys to see if they can get one to work properly. If not, then I suggest that you visit your dealership to get the key made properly.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 07. You have to take your original key and start the vehicle. Then turn it off and within 30 seconds take your new key and start the vehicle. I was told the 07 models don't have chips, but they're wrong. My new key only worked for one day, and then I had to start the process all over again. I bought new fobs and chipped keys off ebay pretty cheaply. I got them for $34.00 each. It's a very simple process to program them yourself. The dealership wants big money for this.