Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox Colling Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2015, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Chevy Equinox Colling Fan Issues

My Cooling fans on my 2006 Chevy Equinox stopped working about six months ago. I had to have the car towed to a garage in Florida where I live. The mechanic said it was the Cooling Fan Module so he replace it. That included both fans. It worked for about a month and went out again. I checked on one of the fan fuses was blown. I replace the fuse and it started working again for a few days and both went out. This was during the summer so the outside temps were near 100. Every time I would stop in Traffic the temp would start rising. So I checked the fuses and they were fine so I replaced both relays in the fuse box. It did not resolve the issue so I took it to another garage (Tires Plus, great guys). They said it was the fuse box itself had some burnt contact so they replaced the fuse box and all worked for about a week and then out again. This time Tires Plus said it was the fan pigtail and they replaced it. Now it has worked for about a month and the other day they go out again. This time I checked the relays, the fuses and all are ok. I have always suspected the PCM but both mechanics say that is not the issue. I removed the relays and jumped across the contacts the fan would come up depending on what relay I jumped across. So I now it is not the fans, fan module, fuses or relays and that everything down stream from the relay box is working. I would not care to take it to the dealer but they told me it would cost $275.00 just to look at it. If they replace something like the PCM which is expensive at the dealer and I drive it for a month or so and they go out again, what do I do, continue to pay the dealer to replace parts till it is fixed? This is not an issue on the highway but only in stop and go traffic. Please help!