Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2016, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox coolant loss

I have a 2006 Equinox that is losing coolant. I read they are known for head gasket issues. I also hear water sounds in the dash which leads me to believe the heater core is bad. Is GM offering any assistance since these are known issues? How can I reach a GM rep to find out? I see they sometimes post replies in this forum. Thanks in advance.
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the quickest way would be to just call your dealer with your VIN and see if any warranty/coverage applies. The water sounds in the dash are because the system isn't full.
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Equinox coolant loss

I had to replace head gaskets two years ago. It had been done before I got the car. I could tell from the swirl marks from a gasket removal wheel, they look nothing like factory machine marks. Last week heard the same gurgle in the dash again. Pressure checked the coolant system it held 15# for 30 min. Looked at the reservoir cap, saw dried coolant up in the top of the cap. Then I pulled the overflow hose it had coolant drops in it. I just replaced the cap yesterday. The gurgle is because the coolant level is/was low. The heater core is the highest point in the system. I am not sure how to bleed the air from the heater core. I think it can be done at the bleeder on the water pump but I don't know the process. If anybody knows PLEASE post on 06 Equinox purge thread THANKS!!