Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox LT FWD Vibration

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox LT FWD Vibration

My wife's car when breaking will have a vibration. Doesn't matter fast or slow. Usually the slower you get the worse it can be. It has new brake pads and rotors on the front and new drums and shoes on the rear. I've been reading about ABS sensors going bad, but I don't get any lights. Any help would be appreciated for me to look at.
Old September 14th, 2013, 1:52 AM
CF Beginner

Disabled the ABS didn't solve anything. I can kind of feel vibration in the front end of the car when slowing. I was pulling on the wheels trying to find anything loose and when pulling on the top of the driver wheel I felt some play. I narrowed it down to the strut were the shock goes in when I pull on the top of the wheel there is noticeable amount of play. Enough that it makes a pop noise just from me pulling on it and is maybe a 1/4" of play from the shaft. Which I am pretty sure should not be happening? My other tell sign was it looks like the seal blew because I could see oil coming down the side of the strut so it looks like im replacing the strut regardless of whether is fixes my vibration problem. I hope it does though.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Radejr,

Be sure to keep us posted. I am sure people will begin to chime in with assistance. If you end up needing your GM dealership to look at your wife's Equinox, let us know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 20th, 2013, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Well the strut was definitly bad but didn't fix the vibration. I was trying to study it more and its mainly when slowing from high speeds. I don't feel pulsating in the pedal but the it starts making a popping noise and vibrates the entire car from the front end is what it feels. Maybe lower ball joint or tie rod ends? Gotta try more tests so over this. Since I changed the strut my steering wheel is off about an inch. Now that's annoying so I gotta get it aligned but if I'm changing ball joints or tie rods I wanna wait and the have it aligned any suggestions? I may try to take a video of it.