Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox Stock Radio AUX

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2023, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox Stock Radio AUX

I have been reading conflicting reports on if it is possible to add an AUX input to this Radio. SOme people have claimed that a kit was developed. Others claim you can splice the wiring used for the XM radio. Does anyone know for sure what the situation is for this radio? At the very least does anyone have a pinout guide so we know what wires are carrying what signals? This is a 17 year old car so it must be documented by now.

For reference, I have attached a picture of the Radio in question.

Old March 18th, 2023, 4:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tayya
I have been reading conflicting reports on if it is possible to add an AUX input to this Radio. SOme people have claimed that a kit was developed. Others claim you can splice the wiring used for the XM radio. Does anyone know for sure what the situation is for this radio? At the very least does anyone have a pinout guide so we know what wires are carrying what signals? This is a 17 year old car so it must be documented by now.

For reference, I have attached a picture of the Radio in question.

Ten years ago there were a few interfaces available that allowed you to add an auxiliary input. AFAIK all of them have been discontinued. Your only options now are to find a radio on eBay that's been professionally retrofitted with one or install an RF modulator that's hard wired in line with the radio antenna.

You can only splice a 3.5mm jack into the XM tuner's audio wiring if you have factory XM tuner connected to it. You won't be able to select XM/aux as an input source without a tuner connected to the radio.
Old April 1st, 2023, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Are you referring to the Peripheral Technologies iPod2Car and AUX2Car interfaces? I am trying to see if they are compatible. Other forum posts seem to indicate one can use these devices to add capability but the official packaging of the product excludes the Chevy Equinox (while including ever other Chevy model).

Do you know if this Head unit was used in any other GM vehicle? Seem like none of the other Chevy models in this era used this head unit.
Old April 3rd, 2023, 11:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tayya
Are you referring to the Peripheral Technologies iPod2Car and AUX2Car interfaces? I am trying to see if they are compatible. Other forum posts seem to indicate one can use these devices to add capability but the official packaging of the product excludes the Chevy Equinox (while including ever other Chevy model).

Do you know if this Head unit was used in any other GM vehicle? Seem like none of the other Chevy models in this era used this head unit.
This is the one I had in mind. It looks like it's available in some variants but not others. The same radio isn't used in any other GM applications. The 2004-2007 Chevy Malibu had a radio that looked the same, but they're not compatible with the Equinox. I believe the lone difference is that they use a different CANbus communication protocol.
Old April 3rd, 2023, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

I see a lot of used XM tuners parts available on eBay for the Equinox. In fact upon looking further it seems as if the XM tuner itself is a common part used across different Chevy models. (P/N: 28039755) Are the XM tuners coded to a specific head unit? Would it be feasible to connect one of these used tuners + use this cable?