Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox will sometimes not crank or turn over

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2016, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox will sometimes not crank or turn over

Hello everyone, I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox. I've notice in the past couple of weeks sometimes it will not crank or turn over. There's no engine light that comes on and I had a ignition switch out in last year around March. The battery is only 5 months old. Can someone help me with this?
Old November 10th, 2016, 7:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by garridd1972
Hello everyone, I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox. I've notice in the past couple of weeks sometimes it will not crank or turn over. There's no engine light that comes on and I had a ignition switch out in last year around March. The battery is only 5 months old. Can someone help me with this?
Next time it happens try moving the shifter to neutral while holding your foot firmly on the brake pedal. Then, try to start the engine. If this seems to help, you may need to have the Transmission Range Switch (located on top of the transmission) adjusted or replaced.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue with an 2005 Equinox LT, 3.4L V6. Good battery, all dash lights illuminate on initial KOEO, then go out as normal. Turn to Start and there's no crank, no noises whatsoever. Shifter position has no effect, all fuses, relays are good. No check engine light, no codes (AE GM Enhanced Powertrain). And then a few hours later it works just fine. Wife's car, first time this happened it stranded her 50 miles from home. Car had been parked about two hours when it failed her. Since the starter is buried I couldn't even jump a cable to the starter directly. AAA came and brought it back home, when the AAA driver went to unload the car from the rollback, he turned the key and fired right up. Obviously, my wife won't touch it now. Anyone have schematics for this car, so I can see where the starter circuit might get broken, or other ideas why this might not work.

Car has factory anti-theft, although it normally works fine with a plain steel key. I don't know if anti-theft has a no-crank protection, or just ignition interrupt like some Fords do. Any ideas?