Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 - Steer Column Replaced under warranty - but I have to pay for an allignment??

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2007, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 - Steer Column Replaced under warranty - but I have to pay for an allignment??

I had a clunking sound in my Equinox since new. The dealer kept telling me that it was part of the car's "charm". So I changed dealerships. Today I finally got the clunking fixed, it became too loud to ignore. They replaced the steering column. I drove the car out of the service bay and my steering wheel was completely crooked!! It was off over 30 degree’s. The dealer claims that the car was like that when I brought it to them, or that I didn’t notice. They say that the column being replaced has nothing to do with steering alignment or car alignment. “The columnjust slips in and out” All I know is that my wheel was straight when I brought the car to them yesterday, now it’s not, and I have to pay for the alignment ($140) to rectify the matter??? I don’t think so!

Any info to set these guys straight will be helpful?

Thanks

James
Old October 29th, 2007, 5:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2006 - Steer Column Replaced under warranty - but I have to pay for an allignment??

your getting screwed.......[]bend over and take it like a man.....nah thats BS man, anything we do for service that requires a suspension or steering wheel, or anyhting like that we checkthe alignment and reset it if its out...even tire swaps we include an alignment.....and if they wont do it for you take it to an alignment shop or something, it will be cheaper.
Old October 29th, 2007, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2006 - Steer Column Replaced under warranty - but I have to pay for an allignment??

Thanks man, is there proof that I can show the dealer? I allready paid them for it. Maybe I can get my money back for it.

James
Old November 14th, 2007, 5:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

James,
Ask to speak with the Service Manager and if you get no satisfaction then ask for the General Manager.
It is not reasonable or prudent for a service department to return your Equinox with an off-center steering wheel following a column replacement.

Phone GM Customer Service Center if all else fails, on an issue such as this you should get good results without much fuss.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

This is funny, I had the same problem as well. The dealer changed the column for free but next time that I took the car for oil changing and tire rotation, they charged me for $149.00+GST. Almost bouble as what I pay everytime. (What do you expect from dealer?)