Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ABS issue

I have posted this in a few other areas to maximize response...

While traveling on the interstate and higher speed sections of highway, my 2007 Equinox (about 95,000 miles) will randomly apply the brakes boosting the RPMs and make the car very difficult to drive. Once we turn the car off and let it sit, the problem vanishes. There is a vibration. Before we narrowed it down to the brakes, we thought it was a transmission issue. My wife and I are frustrated to say the least.

The brakes were not applied by either of us. This only seems to occur on open sections of road or on the interstate and usually after some driving time of at least an hour. The car's RPMs go up to around 3100 with the car traveling at about 65. The car vibrates and you can hear the vibration of the brakes trying to stop or slow the car. I was behind my wife the last time and I could smell something burning. I have videos of the gauges showing the boost in RPM's as well as one with the brakes smoking. The "Service Traction Control" light comes on at the beginning of the second video...approximately 3 to 5 minutes after the problem started.

On the latest episode...we got the car to the shoulder and let it sit for about 10 minutes and decided to return to the GM dealership. They have now have the car and the videos...and of course...the can't "duplicate" the issue. This is the second attempt to fix the car. It is under warranty through US Warranty. I purchased the car used at a Toyota Dealership and aside from the issue I'm having (it's not safe to drive), I like the car. That being said. I needs to be fixed.

The battery has been replaced (not sure why really...I just played along)
The RF wheel speed sensor has been replaced.
The Battery has been replaced
The EBCM module has been replaced.

These may have amplified the problem...but it didn't happen on the way back to the dealership.

Received the car again, and on the way to Appalachicola, FL my wife experienced the same issue again while heading over the bridge. I am at a loss. We drove the car extensively over the weekend. We were able to "duplicate" the issue on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and now tonight on Wednesday. I dread taking the car back to the GM dealer. They didn't return my phone calls or my email. Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet in Tallahassee, FL is where I took the car. They are ASE (or ASC?) certified which is required by the warranty program I have.

Any Ideas?

Very, Very frustrated.

Mark