Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 chevy equinox display issues

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2018 | 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 chevy equinox display issues

My 07 equinox starts and runs perfectly fine, however, my driver info center display is not showing on my dashboard (miles, MPG, range, etc.), and the display on my radio is not showing as well (time, FM/AM, band, etc.).

Is it as simple as a fuse or it could be a light bulb problem? Is there a fuse that could tie these two components up together that im missing?
Old April 27th, 2018 | 1:32 AM
CF Pro Member

I'm betting that your automatic headlights are turning on during the day when they aren't needed. This also turns on the instrument panel's illumination. The displays are probably still working, you just have the dimmer set low enough that you can't see the them in daylight. The dimmer in our Equinox can actually be set low enough that the radio's display turns completely off and the DIC's display is barely visible - even at night. Your Equinox probably behaves the same way, so this seems very plausible to me.

The DIC & radio displays are vacuum fluorescent displays that produce their own light, and don't rely on LEDs or light bulbs to shine through them like LCD panels.

You probably need to replace the ambient light sensor. I had to replace this on our Equinox a few years ago. It's the small, dome-shaped plastic thing that protrudes above the left side of the dashboard near the defroster openings. It's a really cheap part that most auto parts stores keep in stock. Removing the top dash panel can be tricky because some of the metal clips refuse to come out of their holes.

Last edited by ruley73; April 27th, 2018 at 1:48 AM.
Old April 27th, 2018 | 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

So replacing the ambient light sensor will fix this issue? What about the ambient air sensor? Are they the same? Just curious.

I replaced the fuses, noticed the old fuses was blown but after replacing with new ones it didn’t fix the issue. I was thinking maybe the instrumental cluster board might’ve had a short somewhere in one of the chips.
Old April 27th, 2018 | 5:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by tpea
So replacing the ambient light sensor will fix this issue? What about the ambient air sensor? Are they the same? Just curious.

I replaced the fuses, noticed the old fuses was blown but after replacing with new ones it didn’t fix the issue. I was thinking maybe the instrumental cluster board might’ve had a short somewhere in one of the chips.
No, the ambient light sensor and the ambient temperature sensor are two totally different things.

You first need to find out if the displays are working & visible at night to confirm my suspicion. Also, don't forget to try adjusting the dimmer position.

Exactly which fuse was blown? It could have been a fuse that had nothing to do with your displays.