Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Equinox radio

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2019, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Equinox radio

We have a 2007 Equinox. When we purchased it the previous owner had installed an aftermarket radio which he removed before we bought it. My question is what oem radio do we need to purchase so everything will work.
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Patty Manship
We have a 2007 Equinox. When we purchased it the previous owner had installed an aftermarket radio which he removed before we bought it. My question is what oem radio do we need to purchase so everything will work.
You must install an OEM radio for a 2007-2009 Chevy Equinox. Used radios in good shape are easily found on eBay for around $50-60, and new, unlocked & bench tested units are priced for as little as $70. If the aftermarket radio was properly installed (and removed) and none of the factory harnesses are cut/missing, all you need to do is installed a radio that isn't locked and have a dealership program it. The radio is turned on by the vehicle's BCM and therefore will not function without being programmed by a GM/Chevrolet dealership.

There are a few different radios you can install:

(option code - description)
U1C - base single disc CD player w/aux input jack (easily identified by preset buttons numbered 1-6; the other two radios have lines on the preset buttons)
US8 - single disc MP3 capable CD player w/aux input jack
US9 - 6-disc MP3 capable CD changer w/aux input jack

If you want the exact radio your Equinox came with look for one of the option codes listed above on the option code sticker on the inside of the glove box door and install the corresponding radio.

I recommend installing a US8 radio because it is a better radio overall than the U1C unit, and it's compatible with the premium/amplified system if your Equinox is equipped with it. If your Equinox has the factory subwoofer near the rear right wheel in the cargo area, it has the premium system. I would not install a US9 radio because the CD changer mechanisms commonly fail.